good progress being made

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

AshG

good progress being made

Postby AshG » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:00 pm

made a bit of progress this week with the engine swap, due to the snow i worked from home for 4 days so didn't have the 1.5hour commute. made use of the extra time and got out in the workshop. got the old engine out and started mocking up the mounts for the new engine.

today i cleaned up the new gearbox, its an omega R28 box. being the inquisitive type i though i would get the scales out and weigh the new box against the old type9. was really shocked. the type 9 was 47.6kg and the omega box was 36kg dead. thats 11.6kg shaved off happy with that. add the 11.6kg to the 8kg i nabbed back by fitting willwood callipers in the summer and thats nearly a 20kg weight reduction :D to top it all off i will have nearly 3 times the power of the old engine.

will try and get some pictures up when i can find the camera wire.

Nash

Re: good progress being made

Postby Nash » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Come on Ash we need photos. How much does the engine weigh compared to the Pinto?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

AshG

Postby AshG » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:29 pm

its still on the engine stand at the moment but dont worry it will be weighed :Dmy goal is to do the swap without gaining any weight. so far i have lost 20kg but the new lump has a charge cooler and oil cooler so that will add a bit back. have also got an lsd to go in and may swap the rear drums for discs but i doubt either will offer any kind of weight saving.

daxmatt

Postby daxmatt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 pm

do i detect turbo 8-)

AshG

Postby AshG » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Cant believe it. the thing only bloody fits :D need to make up engine and gearbox mounts machine a 26mm spacer for the clutch slave cylinder, modify the water pump due to a small clearance issue, have a custom prop made up the plumb it up and wire up the megasquirt.

ALL BEFORE JANUARY :?

The suspense is killing me

Well it fits JUST!

Bit of my dodgy ali welding (at least its watertight)

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 am

zorst on passenger side now then Ash?

looking snug but good fella.

............Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:35 am

Looking good ash, hope the ms works ok :)
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

AshG

Postby AshG » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:29 am

yep zorst will be on the opposite side now i kept the bit i chopped out of the bonnet when i built the car so i will have to fg it back and paint it up. the ms works fine james who writes all the software for the ms3 tested it for me :-) the resolution of the new ms3 is in a different league to the old ms2, its now well into high end omex emerald territory. it runs a dual core processor has 100X the resolution of the old ms2, 16x16 fuel and ingntion tables, seperate tables for injector staging, fully sequential ignition and spark, boost control, nirtous control, canbus capability, individual injector and spark trim, wide band target fuel control, launch control......... the list keeps going lol :D

feeling the pressure at the moment as the mev exocet kit will be turning up early/mid January.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:32 am

progress looks good Ash, but then again seems you have a strong deadline to meet with the MEV arriving!

AshG

Postby AshG » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 am

tell me about it :D should get it done in time. no doubt i will end up just throwing money at it to get the thing done in time but that seems to be the norm lol

the hard decision will be do i take the exocet on the stonleigh run or the roadster.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”