Viento project, part deux

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Viento project, part deux

Postby b33fy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Amassing a few bits to do a few small upgrades to the car in readiness for some solid use next year, might as well record the mission for prosperity and provide some light entertainment to the SKCC. Hopefully this will be short'ish and sweet with the car back on the road by the spring in somewhat improved state than it is currently.

In fact current position is.. car is locked away in solitary confinement sulking with a broken clutch release arm, the pivot has broken through the pressed steel arm rendering it useless a known week point apparently. I couldn't be arsed to pull the engine out (again ) to sort it as I was intending to do that anyway to upgrade a few bits, when I was ready.

So upgraditus, the plans. Replace the open diff, as mentioned elsewhere I've bought a 3.14 LSD which is ready to fit, currently residing in the boot of my daily driver.

I've also got a replacement rebuilt LT77 gearbox, the current one works but is a bit noisy and reticent on occasion to find a few gears. The replacement is being a little elusive, still with its owner but looking promising. (Long story won't bore you).

Cosmetics, bodywork, seats, suspension / brake fine tuning, removable steering wheel / freewheel system..more of a to do list than project thread material, otherwise this'll end up major rebuild thread, which it isn't.. might mention these in passing. :D

Engine.. Aarrhh yes, This is Dicks fault, :lol: why? Well James went for a blat in Dicks Car and came back with the impression that it is proper fast, in fact it makes the Viento feel pretty slow and disappointing in comparison, reaffirming my thoughts with the obvious comparison with my old V Storm which had the edge over the Viento. Whilst it sounds the nuts it's never realy gone as well as hoped.

I'm pretty well stuck with the Viento as I can't fit in anything else, so in for a penny in for a pound as they say.

Whilst I'm waiting for the gearbox to turn up I might as well crack on with the engine and swap it all out in one go. The plan is 300bhp anything over is a bonus, I haven't got a bottomless budget so spec does depend a little on the right bits coming up at the right price.

Current state of play, I have a 4.6 cross bolted lump in lots of bits. The block needs sorting with new liners, cam bearings and core plugs. I also bought a pair of as new Merlin heads, pick them up next weekend. Merlin heads are basically a new design based on the outward dimensions of the original Rover design, spark plugs and valve size and position are maximised along with the ports, flowing more air than any modded original rover casting. They are revered and hated equally by tuners, suppliers etc, not sure why but guess it's because everyone sees their products as the best. I've no view on this except right part, right price, right time equals VFM. I would struggle to justify or afford to buy a new pair which equates to £3k especially as my budget for the build is £2.50 :?

Internals will depend on the state of the crank, if it's serviceable I'll fit 4.0 Pistons to raise the compression, though I'll most likely need to pocket them for valve clearance. If the crank is scrap then I'll weigh up the options with the possibility of a stroker kit.

Induction.. Need some bling so have arranged a visit to ACT induction in East Grinsted, they did the kit for Kentons car for those that have seem it. A couple of possibilities here one is to go for similar to Kentons and fit a bespoke body such as a mustang or a twin body from something like the Vauxhall V6 engine.

The other option is really rather tasty.. and a little bit of a left field approach, one I'm keen to persue, but it seriously depends on affordability. Will let you know in due course. :D

The next stage is to get the block relinered, so need to make a few calls and arrange. :)
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Dick

Re: Viento project, part deux

Postby Dick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Tony B spread sheet coming out again

steve m

Postby steve m » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:48 pm

I built my car for "budget for the build is £2.50 :? " sorry, £250 !!, that's what the book said
I actually spent under 3k, and the car now stands me for £5250,not bad for 17 years on the road,
not including MOT Tax and insurance
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dick

Postby Dick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 pm

eBay item number:

I'm trying to help honest :lol:

kenton

Postby kenton » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Dick wrote:eBay item number:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-V8-3-9- ... SwX~dWmj88

Here we go again :roll: :roll: :lol:

What ever you decide just remember you cant put a price on fun!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm

bloody hell, the residents down in Marden had better lock up their cats.......
Good Luck Mike.....anyway, what's all this about Spring? You'll have owned it for more than a year by then, can't you get your finger out over Xmas? Stop messing with deep fried turkeys and get fettling..... :lol:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Dick wrote:eBay item number:

Part of RPI Dick, wouldn't pi$$ on then if they were on fire.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 pm

greenwoo wrote:bloody hell, the residents down in Marden had better lock up their cats.......
Good Luck Mike.....anyway, what's all this about Spring? You'll have owned it for more than a year by then, can't you get your finger out over Xmas? Stop messing with deep fried turkeys and get fettling..... :lol:

Too late, the curry houses got to the cats first..honest!!

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 am

Good luck with the upgrade Mike
9 is more than a number

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Dick wrote:Tony B spread sheet coming out again

his worn it out!! - even I don't trust the spreadsheet anymore!!!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”