Pinto Upgrade

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Phil N

Pinto Upgrade

Postby Phil N » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:53 pm

I've had a little niggle for the past year about upgrading the old pinto, the main reason is I think where it is at the moment at 150bhp is where it's going to stay, getting more power is going to cost a lot of money and if I'm going to spend a lot then I'd rather do it with more modern technology. Although the car went well, Donnington confirmed I want more power...

So, my options are to either sell the car and buy something with more power or to stick with what I've got and upgrade. I gave this lots of thought but decided for many reasons to stay with what I've got and give her a new lease of life.

I probably wouldn't be doing this but I had a few 'results' ;) ;) at work which will enable me to do this. Yes it's going to cost me a lot of money, no I probably won't get it back but I enjoy my car and have no intentions of selling it, also I gave up smoking just over two years ago and that will more than cover the costs so I'm going to treat myself!

The main aim is end up with something quicker but reliable, something less rattley and something that likes to keep hold of it's fluids... clearly an easy option for something to bolt striaght on the Type 9 is a Zetec and with brand new black tops selling for £800 this is the way I'm going, to me it's a no brainer.

Next is how what I am going to run it on and speaking to a few people I have found that 42mm bike throttle bodies (not carbs) and an omex600 ecu should give me the power I want without too much trouble, yes there are other options (some cheaper) but I might as well do it properly, I have spoken to DanST engineering who have a setup including a loom/ecu/manifold which they recommend- I'm just waiting to see what sort of discount he'll give me. In the future I always have the option to upgrade the cams which will hopefully get me nearer the 200bhp if I so desire.

The internet is a wonderful thing and I have spent ages trawling through other peoples blogs and technical pages so I feel I know what I'm getting involved in.

I have an engine crane coming Tuesday, the new engine will be ordered by then and the Pinto will be on eBay by the weekend... once that's gone then there's no turning back ;) ;)

So I have 7 months until the roadtrip....wish me luck! :D :D
9 is more than a number

DJ.

Re: Pinto Upgrade

Postby DJ. » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Good luck :)

Sure you don't want to go Duratec and keep the exhaust the same side?

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm lucky because currently my current exhaust comes out through the bonnet and not the bodywork, I have two options-

a) hope the old hole can become a bit bigger for an air filter to hang out of
or
b) use the spare bonnet with no holes i recently purchased off ebay for nothing!

Considered the duratec option but decided to against as will require different bell housing and they seem to be quite expensive to tune and rebuild, any thing struggled to compete with the new black top being such great value to be honest.
9 is more than a number

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:24 pm

I thought you'd have most likely considered that option.
The Zetec is a great engine, Graham gave me a lift in his car today and it really shifts and sounds great :)

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Keep us all posted Phil :D It will be an awesome car :D

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Phil N wrote:Next is how what I am going to run it on and speaking to a few people I have found that 42mm bike throttle bodies (not carbs) and an omex600 ecu should give me the power I want without too much trouble.

The internet is a wonderful thing and I have spent ages trawling through other peoples blogs and technical pages so I feel I know what I'm getting involved in.

Don't know if you've seen mine, but that's the setup I have & all the install info is on the blog (linked below) look around 2011 / 12.

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 pm

No I haven't Tony, I will be looking at it now though! Thanks very much!
9 is more than a number

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Phil N wrote:No I haven't Tony, I will be looking at it now though! Thanks very much!

It starts at the bottom of here:-

http://blatterbeast.blogspot.co.uk/2011_10_01_archive.html

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Good luck, and keep us posted!

How much more would a Duratech cost if your doing it now?, exhaust will be the other side but im guessing you'll need new pipes anyway?

I got 178bhp out of my Zetec on bike bodies with an Emerald, I think youll be knocking on 200 with a stock Duratech?

Or dare I say it, S2000?

russtik

Postby russtik » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Duratec + Jenveys would be my route if I was doing that but either way it's gonna be a great improvement :)
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

Return to “Car Related Discussion”