Sunday 2nd May Edenbridge start to join the East run.

Members are encouraged to post details of local runs, a way of meeting owners in your own area.

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisL

Re: Sunday 2nd May Edenbridge start to join the East run.

Postby ChrisL » Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 am

That is truly a bad start! Still think it was oil starvation or a dysfunctional valve?
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi all, well it seams that oil was fine, no starvation as i first thought. It was my first engine build and I had not taken into account the new heads protruding valves which were deeper than my original head. That meant the the valves were hitting the pistons and after about 90 miles one gave up and parted from it's stem. It then rattled around and finally embedded it'self into the piston. The head is toast along with the piston, but thankfully the rest are ok along with the bearings, so I will just need to get a new piston and rings, re hone the bore, get pockets machined into each piston for complete clearance of the valves and of course, a new cylinder head.
I'll let you all know how it goes as funding the engine again isn't great news.
Jason

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Tue May 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Jason, I've got no experience with cross flows or any other car engine but is it usual to have to machine the pistons? Is there something modified with your set up that makes it necessary? It sounds a bit complicated to me
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:18 pm

I believe there’s 2 different heads for the 1600 crossflow one which has a combustion chamber in it ( giving more clearance ) and one flatter head without combustion chamber. I’m wondering if you’ve got a mixture of the 2 types of engine making it too close and causing contact

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi all, yeah I'm thinking that too Matt, I just ordered a similar type of head assuming that the original one was correct but I am now thinking the pistons or the head had been changed before i took hold of the engine years ago so that it was a more compression ratio engine. I've got it all apart and the remaining pistons and rods are going to an engine engineering company in Dulwich to asses them and if ok then to pocket the pistons ready for when i find a reasonable head to fit it dry and make sure clearances are ok before a wet bolt together ready to get it refitted into the car.
Steve, I think it might have a modified cam installed, which probably made the issue even worse.
As the original head was the same, and it ran ok for quite a while without any issues, I think the set up should work again as long as I make sure the pockets that could be put into the pistons are sufficient to guarantee no contact can be make by the valves.
Jason

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:01 pm

Hope you get it sorted soon Jason, assuming you enjoyed the day beforehand at least that can spur you on.
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Wed May 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Hi Rich, yeah the 6 hours before my breakdown was an awesome first drive with you guys, and yes I can't wait to get back on the road, I'm going to be a bit slower with a less powerful engine now, but at least I'll be on the road anyway.

Jason

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Thu May 06, 2021 4:10 pm

Matth93 wrote:I believe there’s 2 different heads for the 1600 crossflow one which has a combustion chamber in it ( giving more clearance ) and one flatter head without combustion chamber. I’m wondering if you’ve got a mixture of the 2 types of engine making it too close and causing contact

Hi Matt, yep I've been told by the engineering company I asked about the pistons that I had used the wrong type of head, even though it was the same as the original one, so a lesson learned there for me :(

Jason

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Thu May 06, 2021 7:34 pm

so at least you've found the problem and can hopefully put it right with some confidence it won't happen again.
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri May 07, 2021 5:12 am

I am glad to hear the block and most of the pistons are Ok. Also good news that you found the problem.

Don't be too concerned about power, my car only has about 120bhp and it loads of fun. I used to have a crossflow Westfield with a fairly mild cam (Kent 234?) and that was a brilliant engine on the road.

Return to “Members Run Outs”