Air Filter Part 1

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

Air Filter Part 1

Postby Wingco » Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 pm

As you know I had my head up graded a couple of weeks ago and I am having fun :D :D
One of the issues was air filtration, I had my ideas and a few of you gave me some more ideas. So what I am going to do and this will be in two parts is the following.
Firstly I would like to thank Tony T for his time, knowledge and expertise in sorting the filter out. Also thanks to Dick for making it easier for me to understand air flow and filtration, it may be surprising what I am going to do.
Part 1
After some discussions with Tony and some shocking template building from me :oops: Tony came up with a great idea but what he made was truly a piece of art in its self, well I thought so.
Dick gave me a template to work from and Tony did the measuring, he was using 2 mm aluminum, thick enough to not bend but usable for what we needed.
A couple of days later tony had made the base plate and it was testing time, ok a couple of small alterations but all but smack on.

Plate4.jpg

Plate5.jpg

Plate 3.jpg

It looks great and very functional and will do the job just right.

Plate2.jpg

plate1.jpg
Last edited by Wingco on Sat May 23, 2020 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

SJLB

Re: Air Part 1

Postby SJLB » Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 pm

looks perfect. great job
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 am

Looks lovely
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 am

Nice, well done
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am

Looks very nicely designed and constructed. Using rivnuts is a good idea, I must buy a tool to use them in the future :)

Weathers

Re: Air Filter Part 1

Postby Weathers » Sat May 23, 2020 10:48 am

Very tidy work.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm

very neat....looking forward to Part Deux.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat May 30, 2020 5:19 pm

Part 2
Its taken a bit of time to get the parts i needed due to the lock down but finally they came so I could crack on with the air filter. I must re phrase that really :lol: Tony T to crack on with the filter.
I made a couple of templates up to get some idea of how it would look, I used a heavey gauge galvanized mesh, I only use that because i could get hold of loads from a friend of mine.

Plate 14.jpg

Plate 15.jpg

The two above were put together and tried on the base plate Tony had made a week or so earlier.
Dick had spoken to me in depth about filtration and some numbers he was saying are quite unbelievable tbh.
For every 2 revs it will use 1 litre of air. so at 2000 rpm it will use 1000 litres of air so at 4000 rpm it will use 2000 litres of air, more air = more HP :D Also we must keep the filter as far away from the trumpets as poss, this will make sure there is plenty of air available.

So with this in mind we used the deeper template for our filter.
Dick gave me some other useful info, imagine a garden hose, this is equal to the larger mesh size, so imagine 10 smaller hoses stuck together, same amonut of water will flow through either hose. So I ordered some stainless steel mesh, a very fine gauge hopefully this will limit things entering the trumpets, ok dust will but it probably does anyway on all our cars.
Tony T made the filter, very fiddly and some bloody sharp the edges but he did a great job, a few trial fittings and a couple of small alterations and he produce a very fine piece of work tbh.

Plate 10.jpg

Plate 11.jpg

Plate 12.jpg

Plate 13.jpg

You can see the red filter sitting at the bottom, this is tucked underneath the bottom of the filter and comes out over the side panel, this is due to the S6 ? I'm not sure if its on all Tigers, the bonnet sticks out more on that side on the drivers side and you can see right up into the engine bay, than the other side. With this I wanted to make sure nothing will flick up from the front wheel and go in the open part between the bonnet and side panel, also the front next to the timing belt I have a filter stopping anything coming in to that area from the front. Ok it doesn't look that nice or good but it does a job, probably needs a little work to make it look better but hat the bonnet goes on and no one sees it.

I hope this all make some kind of sense ?? it was hard to explain it in writing tbh
Anyway many thanks to Tony T for all his help and guidance, also to Dick for his knowledge and information.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat May 30, 2020 5:30 pm

That must be tricky to work with, well done Tony and Colin :)
Should stop anything big enough to really damage the engine.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”