Misfire fix

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

nelmo

Re: Misfire fix

Postby nelmo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:54 am

Actually, it's been re-done twice, once by the AA guy at the roadside when I first got the problem and then again by me, with a brand new plug.

But that may still be the problem, I guess, because that plug isn't held tightly. I've added some support for it but it's still not rigid.... hmmm...

Dneill62

Postby Dneill62 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:00 am

Hi. Just a quick thought because i had almost exactly the same issue. Replaced everything. It turned out to be a small air leak at the inlet manifold gasket! Longshot I know.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Dneill62 wrote:Hi. Just a quick thought because i had almost exactly the same issue. Replaced everything. It turned out to be a small air leak at the inlet manifold gasket! Longshot I know.

Hmmm, that's definitely possible. I haven't actually got a gasket, I used instant gasket gunk.

Is there a technique for finding an air leak?

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:55 pm

I would usually spray some brake cleaner around the joint with the engine running, if the engine revs up it has sucked the brake cleaner in through a hole.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Matth93 wrote:I would usually spray some brake cleaner around the joint with the engine running, if the engine revs up it has sucked the brake cleaner in through a hole.

Sounds promising - but won't the brake cleaner risk damaging/dissolving the instant gasket? Maybe oil instead - would that produce white smoke out the exhaust if leaking?

I should get a proper gasket but I doubt my manifold is very flat - I filed it down myself from the original Ford manifold, hence why I used the instant gasket in the first place, to fill the non-flat bits.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 pm

It shouldn’t dissolve the sealant. It needs to be very thin to work so oil probably won’t work and will also make a lot of mess whereas brake cleaner will evaporate off leaving no mess.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Sounds like a joke but smoke (or vape) if you do and see where it goes. Very very old skool I know but Im old. :lol:

but seriously the brake cleaner idea is perfect and same result as plumbers looking for leaks with fairy liquid

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am

what's the latest on this then Neil?

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks for asking Mark - bugger all, I'm afraid. Every time I think I've got some time to try things, my family seem to fill it with something... admittedly, I have wimped out of doing anything in the cold, dark evenings, which only leaves me with weekends... :cry:

However, this weekend is looking clear at the moment, so I'm hoping to try then...I've purposely signed myself up to the 8th Dec meet, to give me a target date to aim for ;)

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Return to “Car Related Discussion”