Buying Advice Please: 4A-GE Raw Striker

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Re: Buying Advice Please: 4A-GE Raw Striker

Postby Rexholme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Have I done this right, regarding the final drive ratio, that’s the diff ratio right?
Attachments
A3F63356-570D-4DDC-8DFC-C191475E4A54.png
D9CE5ADE-F74B-4D91-9CCD-C1FD9C5738ED.png
EF9BF598-8B9A-4A28-BD9D-877351662AEB.png

russtik

Postby russtik » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pm

The 4A-GE is a fabulous engine and in a IRS Striker it makes for a great package. I have a 16 valve 4A-GE in my Fury (that I've spent way too much money on) and I love the way it revs and sounds. Judging by the pics you posted it has a "silver top" 20 valve which, as standard has a bit less power than the "black top" due to having a lower compression ratio but it does had the added bonus of having stronger conrods. If that engine really is putting out 160BHP then I'd expect the stock compression ratio has been raised somewhat and maybe some different cams in there.

If I were in your shoes I definitely be interested in that car, BUT it pays to be cautious and then if you think it's worth proceeding, bargain hard. It also pays to not get too emotionally invested and prepare yourself to walk away if something doesn't feel right.

As others have said I'd be asking the guy to stick an MOT on there, if there's serious resistance to that then you've got to ask why. Also that track incident requiring a new wishbone; people are always keen to play down such a thing and convince you everything is straight. The problem is people don't really know half the time, not everything can be seen to the naked eye. I'd say the risk involved relating to the crash, the time laid up, the cosmetic condition, any unfinished work (engine mounts), time needed on a rolling road and just generally the low prices Strikers seemingly command on the market are all reasons to negotiate that asking price down by a decent amount.

Definitely worth following up though if you ask me, it could be great.

Russ
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Cheers Russ. Really appreciate the feedback and advice.

This weekend, I’ve also had a zetec Avon pointed in my direction for similar money. Need to look at that (on paper) too. Nice to have choices I guess :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:09 am

my 2 cents.

1/ crazed bonnet. Would need to check what you can do to sort that if its something you can't live with. Chances of getting a solid match from a new bonnet are probably slim; No idea how good the striker panels fit in general, ie/ would a new bonnet need additional fettling to make it fit/look right?

2/ as others - why no MOT, that's just daft/lazy. Does he say what work needed for MOT?

3/ BGH gearbox is a nice to have, those ratios arent specifically chosen for that car, that's what comes in that version of their gearbox. The only variable being 5th.

4/ a 4.4 diff.....with 14 inch wheels...you'd need to play around with that gearcalc and maybe look at a standard power graph to get an idea of how useable that would be on the road.
4.4 will just push everything up the rev range,maybe not ideal for the road?

5/14 inch wheels, maybe less tyre choice? or more expensive?

6/i know nothing about 4age, so maybe the inlets are normal, but do look weird to me.

7/ having looked at the whole photo album, looks a bit 'ratty' in places, ie/ water boiled over at some stage or leaked ( rusty around header tank ) which is poor presentation.

8/ power graph meaningless, have no idea what a standard engine pushes out and where the power tails off....it may rev to 7800 but when does the power drop off, that's what you really need for gearcalcs.

I don't follow striker prices, but they've always seemed to me to be in a band from 4-6k 'ish, with a few exceptions. So to my eye, looks a bit optimistic given the condition etc.

russtik

Postby russtik » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 pm

6/i know nothing about 4age, so maybe the inlets are normal, but do look weird to me.

The inlet pipes are OEM Toyota and are total sh!t :) It would benefit greatly from a long and straight set of ram pipes and a trip to a rolling road no doubt.
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks Mark, fair summary. Gear calc’s are in my post above. I’m so glad my mate took all those details photos and I asked you guys.

In fairness to the seller, when he responded to my “wanted ad” it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing and he intended to do the work on the car - MOT and tidy it up.

I have had a good think on it. As result of your collective feedback and my mates, I messaged the seller to say that it’s a long old trip to view the car and to get the best value out of the trip, the car would need a MOT. I also want test drive it to check those ratios and wishbone, inc. jacking it up and inspecting the chassis.

He seems to appreciate my concerns and position. He‘a agreed to sort the car, when he has time (from doing up his house) and if I haven’t found a car by then, then we can discuss a viewing. He doesn’t know when that will be though.

So it’s back to the drawing board for me and my search continues. But I still want a Un-pinto’d, non-BEC Striker :D

Thank you all for your feedback; really valuable. I’ll arrange a breakfast to say thanks... say 8th Dec?... you’re paying though :P
https://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10836

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:16 pm

:mrgreen:

Does it have to be a Striker? The Phoenix is a very similar chassis, and the Fury is a great drive too.

Duncan

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Yes, those would be good too.

I would definitely consider them because kits with a decent spec and an affordable price come up so rarely it seems. However I do prefer the se7en type shape and the Striker in particular. I think it’s a great size and well proportioned.

In fairness I wouldn’t rule out others either such R6s, Avons, Indys etc. but I doubt they would come up cheap enough.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 pm

I've always liked the Striker, and would have built one in 1990 if I could've got in it!

Matt's MK goes very well, so you're right not to overlook them.

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 pm

DJ. wrote:I've always liked the Striker, and would have built one in 1990 if I could've got in it!

It’s not like Caterhams are big mate?!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”