Buying Advice Please: 4A-GE Raw Striker

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Buying Advice Please: 4A-GE Raw Striker

Postby Rexholme » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi

I’m looking for some buying advice about a particular car – a 4A-GE Striker. I’m a little unsure about it and seeking to draw on your wider experiences. I have used the buying advice on the forum too by the way – it’s very helpful. I’m new to kits cars and despite joining the forum a year ago, I haven’t made a purchase yet. That’s mainly because 2019 has been a crappy year for me.

My mum was diagnosed with cancer (cholangiocarcinoma metastasis) in Feb '19 and I stopped looking for a kit car immediately – having just viewed a Westfield I was about to make an offer on. Mum’s cancer was very advanced, aggressive and sadly we lost her May '19. I starting looking again just after and found a great X-Flow Sylva Striker, but it was a bit soon for me plus the work required to get it where I wanted it was a bit steep (£2kish).

Also, this year, I had a pretty serious bike crash over the summer, separating my shoulder (ACJ dislocation) which halted test driving a Zetec Striker and shortly after we lost my Gran at the ripe old age of 93/yo. So yea, a pretty crap year.

However, I want finish the year better than it started. I have found this 4A-GE Striker for sale but it's the other side of the country to go and view. However, a mate who originates from the part of the world happened to be visiting family and took a brief look for me today. He’s mechanically very sound but not familiar with kit cars so has no reference of ‘normal’. I would like to know what you guys think of it please, albeit, via pics and text.

Soz for the life story.

Thanks
Last edited by Rexholme on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rexholme

Re: Buying Advice Please: 4A-GE Raw Striker

Postby Rexholme » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:28 pm

So, Here's the car....

Detailed photo found here: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0mYt-O5043Znp0zEy_b1aloyQ

History
• Its’ a British Racing Green, ’05 plate 4A-GE Raw Striker. The current (and second) owner has had the car 7 years.
• It’s registered as a Raw Striker - registered by Raw themselves in 05.
• It’s been used on road and track but it sounds like it has seen a lot of track work. His son caught the rear wheel at Cadwell for example, resulting in no chassis damage but the lower wishbone needed replacing – it’s been MOT’d since
• certainly not a show car, but it could look better with a little cosmetic work
• MOT expired 24 August 2018 – not renewed because it’s hardly used as too busy. Last MOT though had no advisories.
• The owner was in process of changing original engine mounts for new lightweight tubular ones.
• The reason for selling is that he’s been offered (and bought) 1st refusal on another Striker that he’s always wanted.
• The bonnet is damaged/crazed (see pics) - The bonnet flew off after his first week of ownership having not fitted the bonnet clips correctly. There are multiple cracks on it but it is, and has been totally usable and he feels it could be fixed or wrapped
• The seller had intended to do the work required, MOT it and then bring it to the market, but thought he would offer it out at a lower price of £5500.
• It’s mostly factory built, having been started by an engineering student and her father and mostly finished by RAW (Their original advert of sale can be found here: http://www.striker-cars.co.uk/20v-toyota-striker/
• Apparently, it’s got a large folder of history including an old RR print out (160BHP at the time)
• However, the original engine was replaced with an identical replacement following oil starvation and big end damage. Sounds like the car was low on oil at the time and over revved on a down shift?! Who knows.
• During his ownership, he has changed to a new set of wheel / tyres, fitted lightweight battery, changed to a fly screen, improved pedal space and half way through fitting lighter tubular engine mounts. With time he would have improved the cosmetics and with hindsight, moved it onto 13” wheels

Spec:
• Toyota 4age 20v engine on throttle bodies and slimline sump
• It has got independent rear suspension and inboard rocker arm fronts, all with spax shocks – geo and corner weighting has been done during the current owner’s time.
• Type 9 Heavy duty long 1st 5 speed gearbox, with gear ratios especially picked to suit high revving 20 v 4age ( 7,800 rpm limited by ecu )
• new clutch
• 4.4 LSD with casing marked ZF
• 14 inch OZ wheels with toyo 888's
• Hi-Spec front brakes & sierra rear discs
• Large bore exhaust 4-2-1 s steel
• Omex (100 series?) ECU
• Green Doors, Fly Screen Fitted, Full windscreen included
• Leather trimmed inatrim seats
• Tonneau cover may be included (as yet not sure)

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:33 pm

More pics and details.
Attachments
f937cc64-4fab-4d60-b38f-deabd8cc246d.jpg
caef54a4-f480-4f4f-bfed-7ef93fccb677.jpg
e2f0033f-8b17-4352-a270-b74a7d012867.jpg
521e9316-b59b-429d-9781-27e567273e4f.jpg
5de2295b-838b-46a0-9c0e-0ec42dd9d8c9.jpg
46653595-7c0d-4e46-8420-c4e5c951479c.jpg
IMG_0338.png
IMG_0339.png

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:10 am

To me that sounds a bit expensive. £5500 with no mot and needing a bonnet or at least repairing (if you wrap it you will have to repair it anyway or it will show). Also the rr printout doesn’t mean anything now if the engine has been replaced, ok the ignition/fuelling has been set up but not for that engine. It may be close to that but could also now be way off what it had previously.
I done a bike engined striker up a couple of years ago completely stripping and cleaning/painting everything up. It looked really good when I sold it with a years mot and went well too and I only got that money for it.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:45 am

Ther is also another striker on car and classic.co.uk it looks really clean although it has got a pinto in it

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:54 am

Matth93 wrote:Ther is also another striker on car and classic.co.uk it looks really clean although it has got a pinto in it

Green one, red interior on a Q plate? I do like it but it’s the Pinto that puts me off. Initially it would be fine I think, but a pain and £££ to change engine if/when the bug hits me.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:54 am

With regard to the Toyota Striker. Why no MOT? If it would pass easily, the seller would be a fool to sell without one, it makes me think the MOT won't be straight forward.

Also, you need to budget for a new diff. There's no way, I would want a 4.4 final drive on a road car. 3.92 would be about right.

Duncan

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Interesting you mention the diff. I was going to call Raw about that because on the old advert on the Raw site said it’s said

Type 9 Gearbox fully reconditioned and with gearing to complement Toyota engine’s power curve

4.44:1 differential with LSD fully reconditioned with new crown wheel and pinion

http://www.striker-cars.co.uk/20v-toyota-striker/

Given they built a lot of it, see if they know something the rest of us don’t or the history behind that.

But yes, good point. By the way, thanks for the advice and feed back so far Matt and Duncan.

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Always been a marmite kit (IMO), when I saw the advert I would expect to pay this sort of money for one which is in tip top condition with an MOT, My alarm bells would ring as he's selling one that needs work and is buying another one. I would look at the chassis and make sure it is as he describes as to break a wishbone would take a fair old impact.
9 is more than a number

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Cheers Phil. Useful feedback. Especially about the wishbone.

I know what you mean about Marmite. Size and fit seem like issues. But I have driven Strikers and I really liked them... and I fit too. Phew.

Been researching that diff ratio (not easy, seems rare) and this came up on LocostBuilders http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=83028

The seller also sent me a text I have just seen:

... the diff is a 7inch 4.4 limited slip ZF, I have got details of the specially chosen gear ratios in the Type-9 Heavy duty gear box. No synchro (gives more torque, Zf straight cut gearings 2.8 sporting close...
Attachments
F835D924-9604-4D1F-A2C2-984252D44DA8.jpeg
7CF103D4-9564-494E-AF6A-EE4C53BD5E1D.jpeg

Return to “Car Related Discussion”