Double glazing salesman.. don’t you just love’em

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Double glazing salesman.. don’t you just love’em

Postby b33fy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Decided to bite the bullet and invite one in for an bum raping tonight. Need two new external doors. Thinking about my strategy earlier today, do I open with “I’d offer you a coffee but you’re not staying long”.. buy into the “you’re my new best friend” bullshit or just run with the phoney one off “manager special deal phone calls” while he’s sitting in his car and I’m having my tea.

He was early, not Nick as expected, but Mark, “don’t worry it’s not a deal breaker just yet, unless you wanna change your name by deed poll quickly to make sure..” I said, 30 seconds into the conversation. “You crack on and measure up I’ll make a coffee.

He tried a few ice breakers.. clocked a crash helmet “oh what do you ride?”
“I don't” that was that.

“Who fitted the back door?”

“I did”

“Great job”

“It’s poop, don’t bother with the sweet talk, I’ll finish making the coffee..”

Got down to the nitty gritty, worked through the spec, “best coffee ever”

“Blue door please”

On so on.

The bit I don’t really get (I don’t get any of it tbh) is the computer spits out a price which is way over inflated.. £8k for essentially two doors. Then as Dick says, the fun begins.

So do I..

a) Keep quiet and let him see what he can do.

b) Give him his one best shot at a price “do you feel lucky punk? approach

c) be vague if he asks where do you want to be with the price.. “a fair and reasonable price that puts bread and water on your table and me a decent door”

d) An open enquiring stance, “What can you do for us? approach.

e) a combination of the above

The bit that gets me is why start off with a silly price which is enough to frighten anyone off any chance of doing a deal. It was way too far apart for me and I was half tempted to stop proceedings then.

Cut a long story short went for a combination of the above, mostly waiting to see what he could do which included a managers call.. full credit, genuine speakerphone jobbie, maybe staged but hey, at least he wasn’t talking to himself.

Price relatively quickly down to £6k more of the “what can you do” “fair and reasonable deal” another speakerphone conversation.

£4.5k and getting warmer.

We’ll sign on the dotted tonight for £4k take it or leave it.

All done at £3997.

Still a little top end, though the best ;) swmbo’s happy and only a slightly sore bum.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Double glazing salesman.. don’t you just love’em

Postby greenwoo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 pm

:lol: :lol:

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:18 pm

:lol: :D haha, an amusing read Mike
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:26 pm

You're a brave man, some of our windows could do with replacing, but I can't face the bullsh#t involved in getting them replaced, on the plus side its only the kids bedroom windows that are draughty :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:21 am

You would have thought they would bring their selling techniques into the 21st century, no one has any time or space for the bullshit anymore. Also borders on unethical, especially overselling to vulnerable people.

Like you Tony, I can’t stand it and just wanted the job done. There are probably better companies, fairer prices etc but I haven’t got the time or inclination to sift through them all to find one. Price I paid is still at the thick end but will run with it just to get the job done.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Green Indy

Postby Green Indy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm the same as Tony, I've got a few windows that have needed replacing years ago but can't face the torment!

What does a window cost? (general question as it must depend on size etc). I have no idea, but knowledge would be useful before jumping in head first.

Is it possible to just replace the glass, or do I need new frames?

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:54 pm

A CrossFit club I’m In has a forum dedicated to things people need or want, should of shouted out mike.....
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Rob E wrote:A CrossFit club I’m In has a forum dedicated to things people need or want, should of shouted out mike.....

Cheers Rob, will bear in mind for next time.

Surveyor came and kicked the door openings today. “Job is underpriced by £500” gets onto phone to salesman, no answer.

The cynic inside says another game being played to make you feel less bad about being shafted.

“He’ll have to double up the discount”

Discount.. like rabbits out of a fucking hat.. they should be on BGT.

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Just so it’s out there, I do run a building company and window company, happy to help if people need a no bullish!t quote :D
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Rob E wrote:A CrossFit club I’m In has a forum dedicated to things people need or want, should of shouted out mike.....

Please tell me the forum has an amazing WOD pun.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”