Wet W/E at Brands. Hi and Lo lights

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Wet W/E at Brands. Hi and Lo lights

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm

blimey, wet wet wet.....looks like a hoot though Paul....properly varied grid!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:58 pm

Really not great for the firsts for the team and we did not know how to set the car up for wet conditions. Very chuffed with Lee, he did brilliantly. :D :D

leegav

Postby leegav » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:50 pm

So it been my first race, my first time in the morgan and my first time at brands i was very nervous..but nothing i hadnt felt before at hillclimbs. For me my issue was how i would take in other cars around me. Once we got going though i was settled. I had about 8 laps on the practice day were it was dry and i got to put into practice some of the thibgs i had learned on my tuition course. The rest of the weekend was drenched.. My wet qualifying laps were terrible... I think having other cars around got to me and as one was undertaking me as you come out of druids i think i swerved slightly and put my foot down a little too much with cold tyres and spun the morgan amd headed backwards on the grass into the tyre wall... I was gutted... Really gutted and all ibthought about was how pissed of paul would be when i got back to the pits... Luckily he was as relaxed as always and made me feel better...thanks paul.
When it was my turn on race day i vowed i would not come off track unless someone took me out.. It was absolutely carnage as we had a safety car oit and whacky races when it went in.. I swerved cars slammed on the breaks...nudged my way onto the right line and stood my ground in the wet to keep the car on track... As i was coming i to the last few laps the track started to dry out and i coukd finally start to make a little progress on the places id lost... I was advised by Dave to keep consistant and stay on track....so i did this and put a little pressure on two cars that eventually spun out right front of me.. One at paddock and another at druids. It really really was a baptism of fire and it was bonkers...great fun and all i will say is the mx5s are nuts and dont care what lines or if its yours or not they will cone flyi g through and take you with them if needed... Crazy.
Overall a brilliant and exciting debut for me, apart crom the spin but hey thats racing!!! and paul did amazing in the wet conditions on race day. I think a couple of visits to the 750mc bikesport championship might be on the cards next season when ive got the hang of the hayabusa MNR.
Id like to say a hug thanks to paul and the gang at PT for been so welcoming and giving me the help and oppertunity i needed to get my first signature on my way to a national A race licence. Roll on the next one!!!
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Great write ups. It sounds like a baptism of fire for both of you. Having put a Westfield into the barrier at Brands on a wet track day, I know how tricky it is.

Lee, I really don't envy you returning to the pits after bending Paul's Morgan! :lol:

leegav

Postby leegav » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Luckily he bent it first on the same corner so it was slightly less painful.. Lol

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:59 pm

No problem on the bent bits. Every time you go on track it can happen. :)

I have managed to get an entry into the Morgan Challenge race at Silverstone this w/e and I am sure the modifications will help ensure I am given some space by the gentlemen drivers. :o :lol: :lol: :?

Despite the rain and dents I really enjoyed the company and racing this w/e. Looking forward to the Birkett 6 hour relay with Lee.

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:29 am

once i get the MNR (in a couple of weeks) lets organise a day on track paul sometime before the birkett? maybe silverstone so i can get some practice in before the 6 hour. you can go round in the MNR too. 8-)

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:26 am

:lol:
Pride of place in the garage
Attachments
IMG_20190730_122347_854.jpg

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm

A great read so thanks for posting up guys, and thanks for posting a link to some of your in-car footage too Paul.

Certainly sounds like a rude introduction to the world of circuit racing for you Lee! Did well to hold your nerve and (mostly) keep it on the black stuff!

Both enjoyed yourself by the sounds of it, which is the main thing.

What's your opinion on the new car Paul? I know this event/conditions probably wasn't the best way to gauge it, but it is a road car too right?

Oh, and get some pics up! :D
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi Steve

I picked it up and then took it on a track day at Goodwood. It was dry and sunny :D :D I was shocked at how well it went. The ride is very hard but it corners without roll, brakes well (even though it has drums on the rear) and it is quick in straight line. It was showing 130 down the back straight.

Brands was a problem. Mostly as we did not know how to set the car up. In. The race we had it sorted but it still needed to be smooth.

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”