Any micro electronic experts? Chipsets

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Tony B
Site Admin

Any micro electronic experts? Chipsets

Postby Tony B » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Some of you may have gathered that my beamstop unit, which allows me to control my headlights with two simple switches, blew up in the recent Alps trip. The unit was made by a company called blinkstop. Which no longer supports it and I can’t find anyone with a 2nd hand unit to sell me.

Anyway, talking to a few people on Facebook (see it does have some uses) I’ve been told I can buy most components on line and therefore rebuild it.

The chipset is a CHIP 1553 ATTINY 85 20PU and I’ve been given the eBay link below, however I can’t match the 1553 - does anyone know if this matters? Plenty of these on eBay with different numbers but all have exactly the same description

Eg https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3802390633

AE2D436F-15AB-4B7E-BC9D-DA6E137D7149.jpeg
2F9DF79F-2784-47EA-B25E-0D1333A06126.jpeg

David T

Re: Any micro electronic experts? Chipsets

Postby David T » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Hi Tony,

I've a fair bit of experience playing around with similar micro controllers, so happy to have a look for you. The component count looks really low, so even replacing the ICs would not be too bad. Problem is the ATTiny IC is a programmable one, so is the source code available somewhere? I could have a look or write a replacement if you know the logic you are trying to achieve.

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Ooh yes please David, I wouldn’t have a clue where to start

This is the wiring diagram for the lights, basically you have two momentary switches, press the first one and the sidelights come on, press it again and the headlights come on. The second switch toggles between dip and high or flashes if nothing or only sides are on. Press the first switch again and the whole lot goes off

I haven’t a clue though which bit is blown, the pcb looks fine and power, earth and all the switch inputs are feeding in ok - there’s just no output. My plan was to change everything as a kill or cure approach

All the relays etc are ok, I’ve currently taken the unit out and wired it with latching switches so I know all the wiring and components outside the beamstop are good

83551F18-7F75-4954-B787-3C3F3BD9A5F4.png

David T

Postby David T » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:17 am

Tony,

1553 probably just a manufacturer code or similar. I don't think important, but usually there will be a spec sheet (PDF) online that will describe any variants by the markings.

The ATTiny is a microcontroller. It will come blank and needs a program loading on to it, so will not work out of the box. With the info you've given, it doesn't look to hard to create a program that would recreate the logic of the original.

The IRF5305 MOSFETs are available for pence. Parts are not the issue, just getting the ATTiny working correctly. Or it may be the case that it is still good and something else has failed, which would be then easier to solve.

Realistically I'd only be able to take a look 2nd half of Aug, so perhaps we can engineer a meet up then.

Cheers,

David.

David T

Postby David T » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:18 am

Do your relays have the diodes on as shown in the instructions? Otherwise the voltage spike when de-energising will be a very likely reason why a chip has fried.

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks David, yes diodes are in place and think the unit was fitted a number of years ago and has worked faultlessly since.

Have to say this is outside my knowledge pool, my sisters job is putting together circuit boards so has all the right equipment to put the new parts in but other than that I’m stabbing in the dark

Happy to wait because I’ve installed latching switches for the time being so I have lights that work but if you can help that would be great, happy to post it to you if you fancy a project?

David T

Postby David T » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Sure why not.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”