Viento project, part deux

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Viento project, part deux

Postby b33fy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 pm

locost220 wrote:not sure that set up you have, does the pump normally run off the bottom of the distributor, or do you not have a dist and have a disc instead.

Pump runs off the bottom of the dizzy. I’ve a priming tool that goes in a cordless drill. Whip the dizzy out and I can connect to the end of the drive and spin it up. Done it so many times previously without issues. All a bit odd. I’ll give it another go and not go too mad on drill speed. If no luck might drop the sump and take a look at the pick up pipe.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Yes did same with the pinto mike.
If I recall correctly the rover V8 is a slot type rather than the pinto hex.
Isn't there a spring valve in the body of the pump. It is that the suspect valve you mentioned when u had 100 psi
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 pm

locost220 wrote:Yes did same with the pinto mike.
If I recall correctly the rover V8 is a slot type rather than the pinto hex.
Isn't there a spring valve in the body of the pump. It is that the suspect valve you mentioned when u had 100 psi

Slot type, yes, male on pump, female in drill, definitely spinning it up. Changed spring, plunger was relatively new with edges smoothed off so it doesn’t stick. Was dry hence sticking. New copper washer to seal. All oil pump bolt holes helicoiled due to excessive use lol. Helicoils all good, all torques up ok. New mechanical oil pressure gauge plugged directly into pump body. Spinning drill clockwise, didn’t over pack pump with Vaseline on last go.. maybe not enough.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Got an oil extractor on the way tomorrow, to give the oilway to the pickup a bit of a clear out. Last gasp attempt before the sump is dropped.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Could it be the oil can't get through the Vaseline? I've always just filled the filter with oil and pumped some into the block towards the pump before fitting it. The only other thing I've ever had to do is prime the pump separately on Vauxhalls that have a separate plug to remove to do that

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Matth93 wrote:Could it be the oil can't get through the Vaseline? I've always just filled the filter with oil and pumped some into the block towards the pump before fitting it. The only other thing I've ever had to do is prime the pump separately on Vauxhalls that have a separate plug to remove to do that

The Vaseline dissolves Matt so it shouldn’t be a problem, though I’m assuming it is blocked somewhere, so will suck it out with the extractor and try again.

The rover v8 distributor driven oil pumps are known to be difficult to prime. I think the stuck relief valve/possible gauge issues on the first attempt has thrown things a bit.. ie too many attempts and too much Vaseline.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Dropped the sump, swapped it for the one that was on the car, tweaked the oil pick up so it sat flat in the sump.

Helicoiled the clutch slave cylinder bolts as one had stripped. (sump off job anyhow.) threw it altogether again. Spun it up on the cordless, got 20psi. Fluctuating a bit, possible issues with the relief valve, will see what it’s like when the engines running. Just need to tidy a few bits and get an MOT.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 am

Fingers crossed Mike.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Engine still not playing ball, going to rip it out and tie it to a boat. 4.6 is going in when I get a chance.

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Bad news Mike, that and dealing with a double glazing salesman in the last 24hrs, you deserve a break!
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Return to “Car Related Discussion”