Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

laptop help

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 pm

i know there are atleast 2 clever people in the club..... :lol: :lol:

Soooo.
Yesterday I was running my Acer lappie and realised that the battery indicator was showing, meaning that it wasn't running off the mains charger. I remembered that i;d switched the mains off whist i was away.....so plugged the lead in and put the power on.
At that point the lappie was still fired up...soon as i flipped the switch on the socket for the charger - it switched off. And since then won't restart....

I cant figure out 'why' and whether there are any clever tricks/tips to try.
Logic says that the charger was perfectly fine a week ago, and i cant see why switching the power on when its running would kill it.

ideas?

davehall

Re: laptop help

Postby davehall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 am

Mark, i’ve heard of this problem before. If you’ve got a removable battery, a google suggests -

“If you know the battery works then take it out, remove the power cord and hold down the power button for 20 seconds (tip from Acer website). Next put the battery back in and plug in the power cord. The orange charging light should turn on. Once the blue charged light comes on, try to turn on your laptop.”

Fingers crossed

Dave
Westfield SEiW 1.8 Zetec, Jenveys, Omex

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: laptop help

Postby greenwoo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm

'she cannae take it Captain, she's overloaded'....

sadly the lappie is defunct. Tried the tricks to no avail, bit the bullet and took it to someone who knows more than I, who confirmed the 'condition'....

decisions decisions.....got to work out whether another lappie is needed or whether i can make do with a pc. In theory, a pc is fine, i have the space and a zillion monitors - but having a lappie is kind of handy, albeit at 2x the cost.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”