When is a hole - not a hole

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

When is a hole - not a hole

Postby greenwoo » Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm

For those that know, i had a new fuel tank made recently...this tip may be of use to others along the line.

The guy that made the tank did a nice job and it was fitted last week down at Snodhurst.
Was a bit surprised at how noisy the new pump was, but time was short so i whizzed off home.
By the time i got home i had some worries....the car was running fine, but the noise from the pump was concerning me.

The guys kindly found time yesterday to take a look, given that i'm away on Tour this weekend. After various tests to prove where the issue was it became clear that the pump was struggling to get enough fuel to run flat out ( the pump not the car); It had enough for the car to behave, but not enough to 'soak it'.

After a bit of measuring, turns out that the 8mm outlet has an i/d of 4mm......I asked the tank fabricator what it was supposed to be ...'5.5mm'.

To a muppet like me, i'd never thought to question/check what the i/d would be that he was fitting, i kind of assumed 8mm = 8mm, and the i/d would be 'standard', clearly not.

Sooo 2 things.
First, big thanks to the guys at Snodhurst for reinstalling the external swirl pot system to overcome the issue ( will revisit the tank issue after the trip ).
and second.....next time you're spec'ing something like this, worth double checking little details....

Hammy

Re: When is a hole - not a hole

Postby Hammy » Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Good to know Mark, cheers for sharing.

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 pm

Mark, Good to hear you've got it sorted for the roadtrip. Hope it goes well for you and the rest of the runners
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Glad it’s sorted and fit for the trip. :)
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Return to “Car Related Discussion”