Advice, thoughts or concerns - Westfield SEIW

Items for Sale or that are wanted: Please edit posts once items are sold / withdrawn.

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Re: Advice, thoughts or concerns - Westfield SEIW

Postby Rexholme » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 pm

That was more Paxman than Schofield! :shock: I’m hoping that I won’t have to look much longer. There might be another iron in the fire too.

It’s a fair shout about the weather gear - i’ll ask. That said, I’m thinking that I would like a roll cage fitted anyway but also buying one of those tonneaus that can either act as a half or full one; I guess that’s a soft-bits type thing, especially for a good fit.

Are swirl pots an easy fit?

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:02 pm

That looks a very nice car and the owner seems to have plenty of info to hand. I agree with roof issue but in my opinion the half hood is the way to go as getting in and out of a full hood required the skill of Houdini. Being old I had one made with a double easy on zip fitted which makes it a doddle . Chris (weathers) is seldom seen without his so would be able to advise re Westfield options . Soft Bits are very good but I used Thundersports in Oxted for mine and very happy with the result.
James
The man in the Red Coat

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Soooo... Been looking up the guys posts on the Westfield owners club and same across this.
https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/130195-swirl-pot-or-baffled-tank/?tab=comments#comment-1378695

In short, how do you fit a swirl pot with to a fuel tank with an internal HP fuel pump? i.e.fuel tank-> LP Pump ->Swirl Pot>HP Fuel pump->fuel rail (with appropriate returns and overflows etc.)

What would the fix be to this swirl pot issue based on your collective experiences?

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 am

i might still be sleepy, not sure i understand the question/problem....
do you mean there's a HP pump currently inside the tank and therefore how do you set up a swirl pot or alternative solution to stop fuel surge?

your outline is correct, lp-sp-gravity to hp
so if the tanl has an HP pump, where's the outlet, top of bottom of tank? if bottom of tank i'd imagine that you'd try to get the swirl pot low and then a 2nd HP and do away with the LP....

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 pm

greenwoo wrote:do you mean there's a HP pump currently inside the tank and therefore how do you set up a swirl pot or alternative solution to stop fuel surge?

Yes, that’s exactly what i’m asking. You just said it better :oops:

greenwoo wrote:so if the tanl has an HP pump, where's the outlet, top of bottom of tank?

Don’t know sadly. No pics and I didn’t get the chance to look at it today. All sealed up.

Worse case, is it new tank and pumps?

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:11 pm

On a separate note, the steering on the SEIW was “tin-top light”, could have sworn is was PAS, almost. It really threw me. Wasn’t like your R6 at all. I remember getting in my Renault after driving your car and being amazed how light my Renault suddenly felt, however, after driving the westfield, it felt almost normal.

Is that normal?!

leegav

Postby leegav » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:53 pm

You dont need a swirl pot if you have an intank pump as there will be a collector with one way valves to stop surge around the pump and pick up will be fine.

Ive ran withought one for years after listening to troy at Northampton motorsport and ragged the car sensless for years. never once had a problem with surge even when the tank has less than a litre in it.

Interestingly...everyones HP sweetspot seems to be right on the amount of power there car has, and how deep there pockets are..... :roll:
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm

leegav wrote:You dont need a swirl pot if you have an intank pump as there will be a collector with one way valves to stop surge around the pump and pick up will be fine.

:shock: Oh?! The chaps said it suffered with fuel surge at Donnington.

leegav

Postby leegav » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm

If the tank has a viewing section where you can see inside open it up and have a look and see if the one way valve gates have stuck open with crap.
The other reason is it could be a cheap tank without any anti surge baffles inside around the pump...
More fuel lines and more pumps etc mean more chance of failures...i liked to keep everything very simple.
I would say you would be better selling the old tank and just replacing with a tank that stops surge of yours hasnt got the baffles in. Probably cost you the same as pumps and lines after selling your old tank. :?:
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Cheers fella. Much appreciated.

Return to “For Sale Or Wanted”