Advice, thoughts or concerns - Westfield SEIW

Items for Sale or that are wanted: Please edit posts once items are sold / withdrawn.

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Re: Advice, thoughts or concerns - Westfield SEIW

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Rexholme wrote:... and yes, I like R6s.

On the way home FROM PICKING UP MY NEW WHEELS I saw a van with the reg "R6 NOB" - Jus' sayin' :lol: .

There are many routes to an injection engine, I bought a second hand set of GSXR throttle bodies on a manifold for £300 & an Omex ECU for £650ish, then it just needs a fuel swirl pot (about £100 - or I just made one out of something else) & a high pressure fuel pump (£30 - ebay) & a mapping session - say £300. So with a little cleverness (& it is only a little cleverness), you don't need to spend big to get ITBs.

Be wary of spec creep. The point of these cars is that they are fun to drive, you can always spend more, but that rarely translates into more fun driving, the more you spend, the more careful you'll want to be with it. Personally - because I'm happy wielding a spanner, I'd look for an old crossflow Westfield (or one of the other "good" makes, get used to driving it, then upgrade. But each to their own.

Again personally I wouldn't get too hung up on mileage as long as it's been looked after. all the mechanical parts on a kit were designed for a car twice the weight, so there's little stress & everything's easy to change. Condition, not age is what matters.

The black Westy looks good, apart from...... I'd want to know who cut the hole for the air filter, what else did they do to the car & what's their guide dog called.

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Fury1630 wrote:what's their guide dog called.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the dog cut the hole, unless the guy had no opposable thumb as well.

Fury1630 wrote:On the way home FROM PICKING UP MY NEW WHEELS I saw a van with the reg "R6 NOB" - Jus' sayin' :lol: .

:lol: Perfect. An R6 Sounds tailor made for me :D .... what are these new wheels by the way?

That’s really sound advice; thank you Tony. Especially your points about spec creep, small mechanical stress and condition vs mileage etc. Sadly, I’m not experienced at wielding a spanner but I hope to learn. As such, something that potentially requires less maintenance/tinkering appeals more.

It’s the driving experiences that really interest me and that’s where you’re spot on - “The point of these cars is that they are fun to drive”. Perhaps I’m getting a little hung up on small [expensive] things and forgetting that.

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:48 pm

I've had two westfields, a 2015 FW body zetec and a 2013 zetec, both with fairly standard setups & jenvey throttle bodies. I found them both had plenty of power and the build quality was as close to a production car as you're going to get in the kit car world (not taking caterhams into account).
They were solid, reliable and looked the part IMO, plus a lot easier to get parts for as you didn't have to spend ages trying to work out what bit came from what car. You'll pay a premium but I always felt that they were worth it and the 2nd one I actually sold for more than what I paid for it so they do hold their value (Rob will be along soon to have a whinge no doubt). I crashed the first one into a central reservation of A23 and although it was written off it took the impact well. I always had the opinion that the more highly tuned the more hassle they are and as much as people will say otherwise don't listen plus at no point on runs did I ever feel I needed more power. Theres a lot of people who will try and justify spending £15,000 on an engine upgrade on a car that's worth £10k all done :lol: :lol:
9 is more than a number

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Cheers Phil. That’s good to know.

I have some more details from the seller, just qualifying a few points. I’ll post further details later.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:57 pm

While on the subject of power & reliability, on the runs & tours we do, it's more about handling than outright power. £500 spent on good shocks will do more for you than £500 spent on engine mods. Personally I like my car the way it is, the engine internals are bog stock - so reliable, about 160 / 170 bhp equates to 275 - 300bhp / tonne, I've had a few "dices" with modern Porsche Carreras & the Fury is every bit as quick in the real world, but on a dry road it will not wheelspin, which means I can boot it out of corners without worrying about going backwards into the scenery. As I will keep on saying, "each to their own" but it's easy to make a fast & fun car into a scary one - just add power :D

If this damn rain ever stops I'll take you on a run in the Fury & you can make your own mind up.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Rexholme wrote: .... what are these new wheels by the way?

s-l1600.jpg

I LOVE the colour & if I had a white car I'd be fitting them & adding a stripe in the same colour.

Unfortunately my car's yellow with red, so they just won't go & need a re-paint so it looks like this :D

Revolutions.jpg

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Primo alloys in Guildford are good. They just refurbished mine

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Fury1630 wrote:it's more about handling than outright power...

Totally agree - plus brakes for me. I like good brakes that inspire confidence. I’m more about add lightness too.

Mark was kind enough to take me out in his R6 and that was way more than enough power. The magic number in my head no more 280bhp/tonne.

Fury1630 wrote:If this damn rain ever stops I'll take you on a run in the Fury & you can make your own mind

Yes please!

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 am

With regards to the yellow Westfield https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/132885-20l-zetec-seiw/, I got some more info from the owner.

What is it registered as on the V5? When was it registered?
V5 it’s registered as W7 WSC, Sport Carbon 2.0 Zetec. First registered in 2000, but I couldn’t tell you the month off the top of my head so I’ll have to get the V5

How many owners has it had?
Same with owner count – I think I’m #4

How many miles has it done / on the clock?
Odomoter reading is about 32k – but the new engine is around 11k (and everything was overhauled so it’s all low mileage). Engine was a new crate. We have receipt etc for that.

What can you tell me about the build history? e.g. Is it a factory build or owner build? The advert suggest factory built?
This is a factory built car – made to order. All the original order docs are in the file setting everything out. In 2011 the second owner decided to make some upgrades. He had the new engine installed together with all the ancillaries, Jenvey TBs, Omex 600 ecu, lightweight battery with external charge point for C-Tek battery conditioner (included in the sale), upgraded brakes, braided hoses for those, silicone hoses in the engine bay. Raceline wet sump (No idea if shorter to be honest) with a Floor pan that protects the bottom. Gaz Gold adjustable coilover dampers. Car when then set up at Northampton Motor Sport, corner weighted, damped and rolling road tuned. I don’t believe it has quick rack steering but it’s a short ratio so still quick lock to lock. I’ve not driven others to compare to be honest. The steering wheel is not QR.

Can you give a few more details what sort of receipts old docs you have? Rolling road print out Pictures? Major services of note such as when was the cambelt last done etc?
Receipts file is fully comprehensive – every MOT, service, all the works completed, NMS receipts and rolling road print outs, engine crate receipt – literally everything.

Any advisories on last MOT and when’s the next MOT due?
Last MOT had one issue which was a worn suspension bush on the lower rear arm. I went to Procomp Motorsport and saw Matt Gilmour who replaced a few of the bushes (when you take the arm off it’s best to replace all as they are so cheap!) – car sailed through the MOT. Date of MOT I think is end of April – but will need to check. I’d expect it to pass with flying colours!

What work have you done to it during your ownership? Garage or yourself?
I haven’t done any mods, just minor maintenance – other than the suspension bush and new tyres, it’s wanted for nothing

Please can you give me an honest appraisal of condition?
It’s as close to perfect as you’ll see. Of course there are some marks in the body – you get that spider effect in the gel coat in places, that’s just fibreglass bodies. The rear ‘parcel shelf’ which is faux carbon has a scratch on it when I put my helmet on it and then foolishly dragged it across – it’s about 1inch and barely noticeable – they can be polished out but I never bothered. Otherwise it’s spotless. Starts first time, every time, runs smooth, pulls well, nice noise at the top end and plenty of power to put a smile on your face!

Which things might you have changed if you had time?
I was tempted to make it more track focussed, as that’s where I thought I’d go with the ownership. So I was looking at lightweight seats (JK Composite or Tillet), CAM profile change (would make it lumpy on roads, but when on CAM releases extra power) and lightweight fly wheel. But you’d do none of those things for a predominantly road based car. Ideally you’d fit a swirl pot to avoid fuel starve/surge – it happens when the level is running low and you turn ‘in a spirited manner’ :) left for a long duration. Again, rare on road, but not great for track. I did one track day in my ownership at Donnington and it didn’t miss a beat – ran fantastic. Otherwise it’s been Sunday afternoon blats around the local area.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 pm

If he offers to throw the goggles in - just say no :D

Other than that, if it's as good as he says I can't see you'd get anything better at that price, he says it has a screen & wipers & it appears to have press studs round the back, but there's no mention of any weather gear or tonnau, should you want to join one of the tours something would be good, but they're easily available. You could probably get a car cheaper, but that looks like a solid choice (factory built) & it's available now. How long are you going to spend looking? <Phillip Schofield mode off>.

It's way too clean, but the SKCC can sort that out for you :lol:

Return to “For Sale Or Wanted”