Quick Hello.

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Re: Quick Hello.

Postby Rexholme » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Fury1630 wrote:You can have a poke round it in the garage if you want.

There's lot's of videos if you search "Fury1630"...

You're a gent, I'll PM you or something. I have the found videos on YouTube already... and the PistonHead's article :D

In fact, I have generally been searching SKCC on YouTube... by the way, the chap who owns the black Westfield Zetec turbo - respect! - you have 'a pair' on you. That looks monstrous!

Mike

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Sorry to be a party pooper but I'd hate to see you waste your money, so my opinion is this....

Kits are great BUT they are basically hand-built by amateurs. Some are good amateurs, others (like me) are hopeless beginners who just happened to have enough cash to fulfill their dreams. As such, most kits will break down regularly (just read some of the posts on this and other forums) . If you're happy working on them yourself, no problem but you can't usually just take them to a local garage and, anyway, that will cost too much. Also, they can be time-consuming and with your young kids, you'll be pushed to get time to go on runs, never mind fix it.

If you just want a fun car that you don't want to tinker with, just drive, you're probably better off with an MX5. I don't think kits depreciate any slower than normal cars.

Sorry to sound negative but you need to be honest with yourself about what you want to do with it and seriously think about if you have time. I specifically waited until my kids were over the age of 10 before I started my build and even then, I still have to fight with my wife to go out on weekends :?

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 am

Valid points and concerns - I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Hello and welcome.

What is your budget?

Rexholme wrote:...by the way, the chap who owns the black Westfield Zetec turbo - respect! - you have 'a pair' on you.

Haha thanks :mrgreen:
Come along to a run meet or shout out where you are, and I'm sure some people will be happy to show you round their cars so you can get an idea of different kits.

Steve
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm

You out on the 9th Steve?

So I live in Horsley, between Guildford and Leather-dead, off the Epsom Road (A246)

Budget, m’eh, that’s green shifting :roll: ideally about the £8k mark but for the right car, I would consider £10k.

When I started out looking, I liked the look of this:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ar/8887425

But also investigating Tigers - Mark G has been a useful guide on that. I was looking on the Tiger Racing Facebook page early and they had a silver R6 in June; that looked spot on. Why didn’t I start looking 5 months ago?! :cry:

Mike

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Rexholme wrote:...off the Epsom Road (A246)

Duh! It’s a car forum Mike! I’m 5min from Bell and Colvill Lotus and the Duke of Wellington Pub.

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 pm

nelmo wrote:Sorry to be a party pooper but I'd hate to see you waste your money, so my opinion is this....

Kits are great BUT they are basically hand-built by amateurs. Some are good amateurs, others (like me) are hopeless beginners who just happened to have enough cash to fulfill their dreams. As such, most kits will break down regularly (just read some of the posts on this and other forums) . If you're happy working on them yourself, no problem but you can't usually just take them to a local garage and, anyway, that will cost too much. Also, they can be time-consuming and with your young kids, you'll be pushed to get time to go on runs, never mind fix it.

If you just want a fun car that you don't want to tinker with, just drive, you're probably better off with an MX5. I don't think kits depreciate any slower than normal cars.

Sorry to sound negative but you need to be honest with yourself about what you want to do with it and seriously think about if you have time. I specifically waited until my kids were over the age of 10 before I started my build and even then, I still have to fight with my wife to go out on weekends :?

Valid comments, but when you've got the car you own fixed and running as you want you truly own the car. Mine is currently a PITA, but I'm getting there :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Rexholme wrote:You out on the 9th Steve?

For the breakfast meet, yeah.
Great opportunity to talk kits!

Seems a very realistic budget for a decent car. :)

You'll find there are fewer kits for sale during the winter months, but prices may be keener.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:59 pm

nelmo wrote:Sorry to be a party pooper but I'd hate to see you waste your money, so my opinion is this....

Well - kinda-sortof, BUT, in 9 years, mine has broken three times, once the clutch cable came away from the clutch fork (my own fault, I'd not fitted it properly) - I drove it home clutchless, once the throttle return spring broke - I re-bent it & carried on & the other time the rear upper wishbone broke & it came home on a truck. The cars are as simple as you want them to be, a X-flow / Pinto car is basically Victorian era engineering & will go on forever with an hour's tinkering every now & then. Something with a turbo-nutter-barstead bike engine is quite likely to break things in the drive train reasonably often. There's always ready advice & support on here & folk will usually offer help in return for bacon rolls. Yes, your wife will need to be understanding, but it'll occupy a lot less time than if you were an ardent football fan, or played golf regularly - probably cost less too.

I keep a record of the Furys I see for sale (in case the worst happens & I need to argue with the insurance Co.) & four years ago (ish) cars like mine were going for £6k, they're now going for closer to £8k.

Just my two-pennarth.

kirmodawn1

Postby kirmodawn1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 am

Ok, slightly different approach from me. Sounds like time to get out to play may be your enemy. Rather than spend 10K ish for a toy that might spend a lot of time under a cover why not buy something modest, say 3-4K. For something like a Pinto powered Robin Hood or similar. You'll still have great fun, I promise you. I paid £1300 for my first kit and ended up keeping it for 8 years, upgrading it gradually as time and funds allowed and made a small profit when I sold it.
If you end up not being able to get out, you'll sell it on no problem. Alternatively if you are getting out and want something more powerful you'll sell it no problem and can then upgrade.

Just another option to consider.

Bob
Quantum 2+2 Zetec Turbo

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”