Le Mans 2018.

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Le Mans 2018.

Postby Nash » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

Having binned Sky this year I have just subscribed to the Eurosport App so I can watch the race.

So predictions from the fans?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Rob E

Re: Le Mans 2018.

Postby Rob E » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:57 am

Cars will go round and round, there’ll be a crash or two (maybe) and a car will win :D what do I get if I’m right ?
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:29 pm

YEP, settling down to watch the start....
LMP1=gotta be toyota no?
LMP2 = no idea don't follow it
GT Pro = porsche, amr don't look like they'll be anywhere near the pace sadly
gt am = hoping amr, but who knows.
hosting a bbq today, so likely others wil have to cook or eat crisps as i'll be wandering to the den for extended 'stints' to watch...

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Has anyone gone to Le Mans ?
I have always fancied going , take the kit car, camp for one or two nights etc
Has anyone do this ?
Just interested in your thought , good or bad, was it good fun, did you see much, how much did it cost etc.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wingco wrote:Has anyone gone to Le Mans ?
I have always fancied going , take the kit car, camp for one or two nights etc
Has anyone do this ?
Just interested in your thought , good or bad, was it good fun, did you see much, how much did it cost etc.

I went a good few years ago, but would like to go again, the night time racing was the most spectacular. We went on a budget so it was in tents. Perhaps we could organise an SKCC Le Mans, so long as it doesn't clash with the 2019 road trip. Mark is a Le Mans veteran, I'm sure he'll have an opinion
Rob E wrote:Cars will go round and round, there’ll be a crash or two (maybe) and a car will win :D what do I get if I’m right ?
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:37 am

ha ha, that topic of le mans and kit cars cameup earlier with a pal....personal view, waste of time,but that depends what you want out of the le mans experience colin....
its 5 hrs of motorway at the very least, so back roads is pretty much a days driving....which would be fine....
BUT, when i'm there i have zero interest or ability to drive a car, they're parked up for the duration
and then its a dash home on the monday or sunday after the race.

loads have and do take kits , but for the life of me i can't work out why...the only reason that could come close is going off somewhere after for a few days or before for a few days.

tryig to drive around - assuming that one abstains from the kroneburg is a royal pita on the friday, and once the locals get involved on the saturday getting to places such as Arnage corner which is a great night time spectacle is a log jam, which is why we used bikes etc.

but gutted that am watching on the box andnot 'for real'.....mind, interesting to see which teams if any enter lmp1 next year, and i think in 2020 lmp1 changes format to proposed 'hypercars' - hope that the likes of mclaren etc get involved!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:42 am

My Fun Cup pit manager, Tom, works for a LMPT 2 team and is in the pits. Wishing him luck for the rest of the race. He also runs the pit stop strategy for the FC team.

I have stopped going to Le Mans as it is way too crowded for me. What stopped me was seeing some Brits on the piss pour their beer into a 430 soft top with the hood down. Clearly not car fans.

I do go to Le Mans Classic. Head Office and I have been for the last 5 or 6. You get the flavour of Le Mans but with less crowds. I really like watching people giving some awesome, valuable cars a real beating and the race can be very competitive. The best bit is Little Big Mans. The have scale models of the cars and have kids do a Le Mans start and race up the straight through the Dunlop S and down the hill to the finish. Some of the cars are awesome and the kids take it really seriously.

Anyway I am off to LMC on the 4 July and then staying in Normandy for a week on the way home. :D :D

steve m

Postby steve m » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:15 am

I went to LM in 2012, with the "Chris wilkie tours" Chris owns and runs the Locostbuilders site
and ive knowm him since about 2000/2001, hes be doing the Lm scene for several years, and if I was to go again, it would be probably with his lot again
All the tickets etc were at the cost, and he did not profit from the deal, a lot to organise for him!

We had 12 cars, mostly with two people, a couple with three,
total cost for the wed-mon including tickets and pass's, fuel, tolls food etc for the two of us
was around £375 each,

A fuel efficient car is a must, as it was all motorway driving, and at max speed, we averaged 30 plus, in an XkE Jag, but one of the guys in a TVR, managed less than 10 mpg average, and had to stop at EVERY garage

Once were were there, we never used the cars, as its all walking distances, albeit long ones, and next time I would look at taking a push bike, however within our 12 cars we had a colour tv and saterlite box, fridge and freezer, BBQ and tables, all neatly kept in a very large army tent, Chris really does know how to it!

The day of the race was fantastic, and we watched the race fro a few hours, then back to camp, to eat etc, back to the track etc, we did get a bit of sleep around 0300, but the noise, mainly the Vipers is so loud sleep wasn't good,

We stayed at Houx, the toilets were horrible, and the showers cold, but ok for us guys, the girls within our team were not impressed, but on the last day we found some much better ones, and warm showers

Walking down the pit lane on Friday was exiting, with all the cars in the pits being franticly worked on, in full view of everyone, lots of pictures taken

As said above the place is VERY crowded, to the point, that between Pete and I, if we walked anywhere, we would pick a point in the distance to reconvene and just fight your way there, it really is that busy,

would I go again, YES,

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:03 am

Just over 3hours to go and the “Rothmans” porker and the GT40 of Bourdou trading paint for 2nd in class in GTpro WOW!
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”