Fun Cup - Snetterton 9 June

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Fun Cup - Snetterton 9 June

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:05 am

Spent the day testing on Friday.

We had a heat related misfire most of the day until the last session. It meant we were down on top speed compared to the field as our max was 108 against 114 for some of the front runners.

I started with a slow time of 2.28 and Ian was 2.22 in the first session. Ian coached me with the data and I dropped 2 second in the second round. Ian went a second faster. Third round another 2 seconds :? Ian then went off to collect a new radio, don’t ask! So I had the last session to myself. I did a 2.22 which is a good race pace. The V-box puts all your best sectors together and that would be 1.21 so I was happy with consistency. :D

To be honest I was p—sed with 2.28 and really chuffed I found 6 seconds :o. To be fair the car was comedy oversteering in the first session. It has been sorted now but it still is a bit tail happy which makes it great fun to drive. Especially round Coram bend.

The pit crew worked all day on handling and getting the misfire sorted. The were brilliant. Then we failed scutineering last thing and so have a bit of work to do race day, this morning.

Hoping to bring it home. :D :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Fun Cup - Snetterton 9 June

Postby greenwoo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:49 am

good luck P, look forward to the update and hope the car runs well...

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 am

OK then race day. Qualified 9th but the grid was already sorted with us in 4th :D :D :D :o sweet!

3 of the really quick guys (Uvio, ccs, Honeywell) literally behind us on the grid. All was working well. Had a photo with the pit girls. ;) :mrgreen:

Gave Ian a pep talk “Today’s strategy is to be first into the first corner”. The race started and ——. He took the lead on lap 2! :twisted:

He then brake the tow and was flying :D :D

Unfortunately the throttle cable broke. Yes with the car in first place and pulling a gap of 2 seconds we breakdown.

Recovered to the pits and we swop the throttle cable which is running alongside the broken one in the car. Ian sets off again a number of laps down in last place. He was pushing very hard lapping very quickly; ran a curb and, knowingly, pushed the pads back. Now, those that watched a small bit of footage from Anglesey May remember the car that overtook at 100 mph on the slow left hander and straoaight on. Well it was Ian’s turn. He got to the braking area it the brakes and no brakes. Saw he was going into the barrier so put the car into a spin. He hit something high on the near side rear. He cannot remember what it was and did not feel or hear anything. He got back on to the track.

Then a fault that we had been plagued us on Friday practice started to come back. We have had top end misfire when the car gets hot. It was just a mild pop or 3 down the straight on the Friday. We thought we had cured he miss as it did not do it in morning qualifying. It was back as Ian handed me the car.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:37 am

Sorry to hear that, it would have been really exciting to have taken over from him in 1st place :mrgreen:

At least he managed to avoid smashing into the barrier though!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 am

The second stint is mine. Ian hands the cover with a top en misfire. Tom, pit manager, radios me to say there is a top end misfire but I have to drive through it. No issue we have had it all weekend. I have clean air, oils prefer to be in traffic. I have another car up the road to chase. I am taking big chunks out of the car in front. But the misfire is gettting worse. I start to loose power and can only pull 5000 rpm don the Bentley straight.

The pit told me to stay out until the pit window. Unfortunately the car was lapping at 3.00 minutes a lap. I brought it in. The guys tried to fix it. I went out and engine stopped and would not restart. Towed back tried to fix it Ian went out it stopped again. DNF.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 am

bloody hell, that sounds like an eventful adventure.....what a bummer about the misfire!!
What's up next Paul......Zandvoort? gotta hope you can cure these gremlins :twisted:

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:55 am

Mark you guesssed it. We have a track day booked at Donnington a week tomorrow. We have to find the fault and make sure it will run all day or it is not worth taking it to Zandvoort.

The good news as I am now on the pace nd not driving crazy man :twisted: I got another two signatures on my license. That means the novice X is off the car and I can up grade my license so I can race on the continent. :D :D So I am ready for Zandvoort; it is just the car.

So the highlights for me are:

Watching Tom , it was his birthday, being kissed by he pit girls and them eating his cake before he got it in the face :lol: :lol: You has to be there :lol:

Listen the commentary at the start with cars going into corners 4 abreast and then seeing Ian coming past in the lead. :P I was leaping about the pit lane like a right Charlie :? :? :lol:

Getting my signatures so I can race in Zandvoort.

And we were the TV car for race so I am sure there will be some I car footage on the TV.

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:40 am

Blimey! The trials and tribulations of a racing driver! Never the less, “you” lead a race. 8-)
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:42 pm

I got it wrong he got to the front on lap 1 :D

Followed by Dispatchbay, uvio and Ccs.

253C449F-0690-4764-8261-F57388A78F1E.jpeg

David T

Postby David T » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Talk about highs and lows. :shock: What an adventure. Fingers crossed for Donno. Those cars are very straightforward so I'm sure you'll get it sorted. Wouldn't be right to embarrass the old guard anyway. :lol:

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”