Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Re: Shelsley training school

Postby jeffw » Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm

And?

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Ok guys heres the report of the training school.

Got suited and booted at 530 this morning and left for shelsley... All good until i got about 200 yards from the gate entrance and took out a bloody pheasant... Took out (bent) the front grill and touched the fan!! Lucky the fan was ok just loosened the rad fan clips... Just added some cable ties to tighten it up.
31 cars turned up...to be honest nothing that took my fancy apart from the 620r in the next paddock shed to me and the gun grey gt3 rs. One woman whos ferrari broke down turned up in a ford galaxy and did the hill. We signed on and had our helmets checked...if you didnt have a helmet they provided one.
We had breakfast in the restaurant which was bacon sandwiches and coffee,i coukd have eaten two to be honest :lol: .. Then we headed to the classroom for some instructions a couple of videos. Then we were talked through the corners covering entry...exit and apex. The corners strange as all the apexes are blind...so when you turn in you cannot see the apex until your half way into your turn. Breaking points at the bottom S were marked out but by the time your up there you miss them anyway as youre so focused on the road..
So...onto the start line... Warmed the tyres up in the short 30 yards you get to do it... The hill ia very steep and gets to 1 in 4 in places so high revs at the start are a must... So you hit the first turn in point in your left onto a right apex which is in first gear...hug the right hand side and change to 2nd... On my first run i stayed in second all the way up through the 3 corners into the main S bend just to get my line right, however by the end of the day i was flat in second through corner two with a blind apex then as you approach corner 3 i was short shifting as theres a bump and flat in second it unstables the car...felt much smoother in 3 and you can then stay flat all the way to the first S and reach about 80 -90 before lifting off and hitting the brakes. Turn in sharp on the first S hig the left side uo the steep bank missing the rumble strips and turning hard right into a bling apex missing a sunken grate...then out the corner and a straight to the finish by which time my car just reaches 7000 rpm im 3rd.

Car was very slippy early in but dropped the tyre pressures down to 15 and really smoked em up at the start line really helped tgrough the rest of the day.

Over all performance....well there was an instructor at each corner...all who were some form of champion at shelsley and the current champion trever something... Was my main one. He debriefed me each time and said every line apart from the top S which was too deep was exellent and the speed was there...he said my car control was exceelent and overall he said i was a joy to watch go up the hill and coukdnt believe id not been there before... :shock: :D 8-)

We did 9 runs in total and each time i got better and faster but foumd the bottom S a little tricky...but he said your chasing 1 or 2 seconds so dont worry...just enjoy it and bring the car home and dont dance with tbe vegetation down the opposite bank.... :lol:

We had fish and chips or curry for lunch in the restaurant and afternoon tea and awards at tge end.. I got a certificate with a pass mark of 85% and some great feedback from some very qualified and experienced drivers so the day was a success...would i do it again?
Yes.... Am i doing it again yes... I have a full days practice booked for saturday 16th june the day before my first championship run up the hill.
Did i learn much about my car...not really, but i learnt the track amd that r88rs arent that sticky when not hot...which is difficult to get them up to operating temp on 30-40 secong hill sprints..

Car performed well with no issues on any run..i never once went iver my driving limits and felt in control every run up and had no hairy moments... The whole thing reminded my of some of the alps style driving we do...steep hills and nice sharp corners that just twitch the car qhen your on the limit..

Perfect!!

Not many photos as i was busy driving but heres 3
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Will post up photos tomoz my phones playing up

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue May 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Well done mate.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 pm

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Thats him jeff... Think he wieghs about 5 stone wet. :lol:

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue May 22, 2018 9:21 pm

sounds like a blast - only slightly envious!

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Well played Lee
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Nice one Lee, a visit to Shelsey is on the bucket list, will try and tick it off this year.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Good show Lee :D Great feed back too. Looking forward to June event report :D

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”