Busa clutch biting point fix

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

SJLB

Busa clutch biting point fix

Postby SJLB » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:56 pm

The Westy factory set up does not give a smooth pull away but it can be adjusted. I made this mod shortly after getting my Busa some time ago but as there are a few more BECs in the club, or so it seems, I'd though I'd share it.

The push rod that goes through the bulkhead needs to be moved as close as possible to the pivot point so the lever has more travel for a given movement to the clutch. The Westy has an unused hole on the floor mount just above the above one that the foot lever is attached to, move the lever up so the top hole is used, the push rod can then be moved down the lever as far as possible and a new hole drilled to take it and then the lever can be shortened once you're happy. The bike clutch is very light anyway and this may make it even lighter, I added a strong spring to the mechanism on the master cylinder side of the bulkhead to give it some "feel" and make sure the lever is returned ok but that is optional.

This diagram should make it clear:
photo (1).JPG
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

Tony B
Site Admin

Re: Busa clutch biting point fix

Postby Tony B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:11 pm

I’m hoping this is going to be the tip of the year Steve considering I’ve lost a couple of quick starts due to stalling it!! :lol:

I’ll report back in a couple of weeks

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Pic of the modified pedal before it was shortened:
DSC07759_zpsh8wffbri[1].jpg
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

steve m

Postby steve m » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:34 pm

The exact same principal was used on my brake pedal, when I made my car 19 years ago,
As the braking was not up to what I was expecting!
so by altering the pivot and fulcrum point nearer each other, but retaining the normal pedal gave more feel, and an increase on braking buy a good margin, probably 30% better

The same principal could be used on a heavy clutch pedal

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Tue May 01, 2018 7:47 am

Tony B wrote:I’m hoping this is going to be the tip of the year Steve considering I’ve lost a couple of quick starts due to stalling it!! :lol:

I'm not sure this will work on your car Tony as it uses the Nova/SBD clutch slave. The original Westfield setup used what looked like a (original) Mini clutch slave cylinder on a fabricated bracket (that break).

I would try uprated clutch springs in the basket before modifying the pedal if you want to add some more weight to the pedal.
Team Green now

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Tue May 01, 2018 10:58 am

Stevo wrote:
Tony B wrote:I’m hoping this is going to be the tip of the year Steve considering I’ve lost a couple of quick starts due to stalling it!! :lol:

I'm not sure this will work on your car Tony as it uses the Nova/SBD clutch slave. The original Westfield setup used what looked like a (original) Mini clutch slave cylinder on a fabricated bracket (that break).

I would try uprated clutch springs in the basket before modifying the pedal if you want to add some more weight to the pedal.

ahh, thanks Steve - looks like housework now on Saturday rather than garage time :lol:

I don't really find it a massive problem, but I do need to stop Kenton and Rob taking the mickey when we pull away from lights and I stall it in my excitement :lol:

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 am

Tony B wrote:..... but I do need to stop Kenton and Rob taking the mickey when we pull away from lights and I stall it in my excitement :lol:

Duct tape can be quite effective for that :D

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”