New member in East Grinstead

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

StuP

New member in East Grinstead

Postby StuP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:11 am

Hello!

I'm looking at getting a 7 replica soon, after someone pulled out straight in front of me and wrote my bike off. Flesh and bones largely ok, but the bike took a lot of damage, as did my wifes confidence in me being on a bike..

So I've suggested a 7 replica as a way of getting similar thrills but with less danger. I've always loved the look of them and would love to build one myself but budget and garage space won't allow that yet. So I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand car, budget probably around 7k. Something like a Tiger Avon/Cat or Raw Striker.

Am I silly to think that I'll get one in our single garage? Width of the door opening is 195cm. My other problem is a steep driveway leading to the garage. I think this should be ok because of the lack of bodywork overhanging the wheels on a 7, but it has caused problems with a previous (lowered) car I owned. This is cheeky, but I don't suppose there is anyone nearby (RH19) with a 7 replica that wouldn't mind showing their car off and seeing if it will go up the drive and into the garage? I would be very grateful if so!

I've still got lots to learn about what car and engine combo to look out for.. A couple have sparked my interest but it's early days still. The chase is half of the fun :D

Dick

Re: New member in East Grinstead

Postby Dick » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:51 am

Well this is the place for help I'm sure someone will be along to soon that is near to you. Lots of ex bikers end up in kit cars. You do need to look hard be for you buy

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 am

Size shouldn't be an issue, the widest cars use a Sierra rear (wikipeadia says 1.75m), the Striker is probably narrower (same chassis as my Fury & the sierra driveshafts are shortened). Ground clearance will only be an issue just behind the front wheels (sump & bellhousing), so it'll depend if your drive is above or below the road.

Before you dive into ownership, it might be wise to have a think about what you want the car for - short blatts at the weekend or longer tours over a few days. If you're not interested in the touring side it's easier to go "hard core" with no screen, roof & a bike engine. You can still tour with a car like that - some do, but it can help sort out what you're looking for.

Welcome to the club.

StuP

Postby StuP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, ground clearance sounds like the only potential issue. The drive goes up from the road so I guess the only grounding potential is at the top of the drive where it levels off into the garage.

Hard to know without trying though!

I'd love a Fury by the way, it's a really nice design. However the overhang makes me think it might struggle with the drive.

We'd mostly use the car for short blasts, maybe a couple of hours at a time typically. A screen would be preferable but I wouldn't say it's essential. We're used to being on a bike so it will still be more luxury than that! Would love a bike engined car but they don't seem to be plentiful in my budget. I think a car engine probably suits road use more too (trackdays would be very occasional)

scotty

Postby scotty » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi ya as a ex biker my self as a few others on here i can say unless you go big power you wont get close to the speed of the litre bikes but you knew that but you can get near to the rest of it my opinion.its got the same freedom type feel and the same one with the machineness you get with a bike so a good replacement(and while your moving you dont tend to get as wet or as cold even with out a heater) as for the drive way thing,mine isnt as low as some as my drive is up hill from the garage( a normal council size fits fine with room) then a steep hump on to the road...then speed humps all up the road...it catches on the drive somtimes on the sump unless i go off at a angle,most have height adjustable suspenion and as its not a full track car dont set it at f1 height and you should be ok.sute some one will be close enough for a try out one evening.7k is a good budget for a decent engine with some poke.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:40 pm

welcome Stu, sensible to see if you can get one on/off the driveway or in/out of the garage....not sure when you'd be around for someone to pop over, are you thinking weekends?
Might be possible for someone to do that after a Sunday run?

Do take into account that most kits are different, if a demo works, then you'd need to be aware that some cars don't have shortened sumps ( most do ) and that might make a difference if you were to buy one without. ( to give you an idea a shortened sump will probably cost you an extra £350 or so if the car you like doenst have one).

i'd offer to bring mine over but as i run a skid plate under the sump the ground clearance is lower than 'normal'......

StuP

Postby StuP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 pm

That's encouraging Scotty, thanks for the info! Sounds like your drive/garage is the same as mine but the hill in the opposite direction - same problems though.

Tbh if someone was going out of their way to come over my way then I'd try to be in whenever fits in. I saw the 'run outs' forum and am impressed by how often runs are on, will definitely look to get involved with them!

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Stu and welcome. A couple of things, with a £7k budget you are in the ballpark to get a half decent car with the right bits. It may need some tidying up but that's not an issue. Also I'm sure if you are going to see a car then someone here who knows what they are looking at will help you out.

Single garage will be fine but you do right to check out the hump.

I would also say if you haven't been in a 7 then it would also be worth hopping in a passenger seat on a run out to get a feel for what they are like. A number of us would be more than happy to offer a navigator seat up for you to get a feel of what it's like in these cars.

Once again welcome to the club.

...... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 am

Welcome to skcc,if the weather gods play ball I might be able to help you out,as said it pays to have a go in a 7 to get the feel :roll: Good luck with the search 7k should get you a usable kit.....martin

StuP

Postby StuP » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks chaps :)

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”