Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisL

Re: Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Postby ChrisL » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 pm

After a bit of a hiatus, sometimes you've got to put things down before you cover them in petrol and set light to them!, and following Dick's advice (many many thanks Dick) I have made some progress!!

I've removed the second TB (between the air filter and the SC) and routed the blow off actuator to the plenum. No squealing as yet but only had it up to 3000 rpm as it's not tuned and one of my neighbours is being an bum about me reving the car.

I need a couple of bits to make it road worthy and a call to the insurance company then I'll be able to do a bit of tuning on the road.

You never know at this rate I might even pass my MOT (in Oct) and be ready for next years Mega Tour :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Well done for sticking with it Chris. I hope all goes well out on the road :)

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Well what an interesting day I've had! After a bit of fiddling with ASE I got a decent idle, then headed out. Few laps of the local lanes and the tune is starting to take shape so i fill up with fuel to start blatting up the local dual carriageway. Felt really quick pulling onto the A1, then smoke!!!
Pulled into a lay-by to discover that the bodge oil breather pipe I'd rigged up, replacing the one that now doesn't fit anymore as the FP regulator is right up against the breather take off, had fallen off but was still in the car. Now oil was being sprayed all over the hot plenum and SC. So bodged it back on ready to limp home. Pulled off the A1 at my turning and holy moly I thought I was on fire there was that much smoke. Luckily my bodge had turned the oil breather pipe in to a 'fecking see how much oil you can spray around an engine bay' nozzle. It's everywhere. So a bit more bodging and made it home.

The tune has some way to go but so far there's plenty of power - easily 1000HP+ haha. The wine is ridiculous but I am worried about the amount of oil coming out of the breather, I'm not sure is this is a sign of something getting pressurised that shouldn't or a result of putting a plate over the exhaust side breather or something else? A quick check of the oil level at the side of the road didn't show a dramatic loss of oil, so I guess all I can do is fit a catch tank and see how bad it is (after cleaning up all of the oil, did I mention it's everywhere!!).

I'll upload some pic's and pretty graphs once I had a chance to have a shower and a few beers, I stink of oil BTW :lol:

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am

Haha, enjoyed your write up Chris. :D Sounds like a case of 'two steps forward and one step back', but at least you're making progress!

Get a catch tank and see how quickly it fills. My zetec turbo breathes very heavily and I got fed up with emptying it so fitted a return that drains directly back to the sump.

I'm starting to mess about with the engine management software for the MBE ecu in the Megabusa. Easitune is the software. Damn... 'easy' it is most certainly not! :shock: Tunerstudio is so much more intuitive.

Upload some pics and graphs! :ugeek:
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Catch tank etc on the way, so should be running next weekend. Sadly I didn't get any video of it running, TBH I was in shock.

Some tune graphs below:

Typical log:
2019-09-28_14.18.39.msl.zip
(303.91 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Fuel table:
SC Fuel 26SEP19.jpg

Spark table:
SC spark table 28SEP19.jpg

Graph:
SC28SEP19 Log.png
SC28SEP19 Log.png (41.58 KiB) Viewed 2472 times

Scatter plot:
scatter 28SEP19.png

Enjoy ;-0

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 pm

Hey Chris,

Thanks for sharing! I've checked out the tables and your datalog and there are a few things I'd look at tinkering with :)

Your Fuel and Ignition tables are both set up for a maximum 'load' of 100 kPa. That'd be fine for a NA engine but you're boosted so you need to set up the tables to accommodate this. At the moment the tables do not allow for any fueling or ignition-timing changes when the engine actually starts to make boost. (Values over 100kPa are progressing into positive boost pressure).

The 'load' kPA axis should be setup to allow for the full MAP range that you see when running. Looking at your datalog, you're maximum MAP reading is around 175 Kpa (i.e. 75 kPa above the ambient (100) air pressure; 75 kPa = 11 psi boost).
So I'd reconfigure the Y axis up to 180 kPa on both tables.
Now you'll be able to map the on-boost fueling.

With the Ignition table, you want to start retarding ignition timing as the engine builds boost. So keep the values you've got up to 100kPa, but as you go from 100Kpa to 180kPa you want to be progressively taking more timing out. How much? That's a very good question that I can't answer :lol: Google some ignition tables for boosted engines to get an idea.

A few things I noticed on the datalog...
- warm-up enrichment seems to be staying on up to 100c coolant temp. Even at 90c it seems to be adding 25% extra fuel. This should progressively decrease until about 40c coolant temp where it should then be off alltogether.
- engine is running hot isn't it? 114c max. Assuming that the coolant temp sensor is calibrated correctly, I'd keep an eye on that.

What's your AFR target table look like? I assume you are using this to allow autotune to do its thing?

Must be pretty quick with nearly 11 psi, even if it is running really rich at the moment. Rich is safer though so that's OK at this stage! :D
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for the wealth of information, really useful stuff that I'm slowly working my way through, have adjusted the axis to 0/15-180 kPa but lot's more to research and update. Will post up some more tables and logs when I have a play...

Dick

Postby Dick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am

Sometimes the scaling they put down the side or along the top of the tables the ident do not change and they just assume the 100 % rule so be it kpa of deg or rpm they dont change the ident of it . We are seeing this or more ecu of late . So be careful b4 you start changing things.
The 100% rule is they divided the min and max that you reach and then show a scaling of 100% over the range. If unsure what im trying to say then give me a call

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks Dick, I think I've changed it the way your supposed to form AutoTune, I guess I can check on the car...

This is what I'm guessing is a good starting point, not sure if I've pulled enough or too much, the internet varies and I've opted for what I think are 'safe' settings also given that then SC is a blower not a compressor I think that means I should get a static amount of boost once the RPM is above 3000, so not sure if I should continue to retard the timing but better safe than boom!!!
ign 3OCT19.jpg

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:42 am

And AFR table
AFR6OCT19.png

Return to “Car Related Discussion”