Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisL

Re: Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Postby ChrisL » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:32 am

Trawled through the logs and found it: 12.2 psi at 3500 rpm. I've rechecked my pulley sizes and the charger would peak at between 14,900 rpm. At 3500 it would have been doing around half that.
Looking at what others have done they seem to be peaking at 13,800 rpm, so close but no cigar. looks like I'm on the hunt 65mm pulley not the 62mm (which I bought as a 64mm) pulley.

Dick thanks again for you help in understanding what went wrong.
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Delving a bit deeper the chap who's idea I'm following states that he has a crank pulley of 128mm, not sure if this is correct as mine measures 132mm, but assuming he's correct that would equal a ratio of 1.969 with a 65mm SC pulley. with my SC pulley being 63mm I get a ratio of 2.095. So in order to bring it down it looks like I have two choices either decrees my crank pulley to 124mm - not even sure if this is possible and it would spin the alternator and water pump slower so could cause more issues or increase the size of my SC pulley to either 67mm (1.9701) or 68mm (1.941). There a chap in the states who sells a mount with interchangeable pulls for $150 +p&P import tax etc, so I'm going to see if he can supply a mount with the same offset as my existing pulley...

Engines out.

Dick

Postby Dick » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Would it not be cheaper to get a charger pulley made by a machine shop saving money over getting one from usa and paying import tax. That way all your other parts would still fit and the other pulleys for water pump / alternator would still drive at the speed you have now.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:14 am

I'm not sure it would, I had a shop increase the ID on the pulley I have now and it cost £200! the other advantage of getting the one from the states is that it's in too parts a boss and the pulley, so if I decide to change pulleys later it's much cheaper and easier to do. Means I can try a smaller pulley to see the actual boot pressure and increase if safe to do so.

Jay

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:51 pm

As in 200 pounds. Jesus what was the machine shop you used mclarens f1 shop? That was day light robery, if our man told me that he would be looking inside a cnc machine for his teeth. Mate get a costing from a human being before you disregard getting it from state side

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:36 pm

I thought it was a bit steep, any idea what sort of money I should be looking at?

In other new started stripping the other engine, was surprised to see rust on what of the cam lobes, guess it's been sitting outside for a while. Head looks straight, couldn't get the feeler gauge in at all :-)

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:15 am

Stripping the new engine:

The head looks to be good although, very straight and couldn't get the feeler gauge in! Although I don't think the previous owner changed the oil very often, lots of carbon. Currently cleaning the head and valves up and will on to the pistons although they look a lot better than my old ones :lol:
What I have realised that the pita job is going to be putting the collets back on so if anyone has any handy tips?

Also stripped down the bottom end, checked the end float and it's within spec. Still waiting for my micrometers but the crank bearings look ok although more wear than my old engine but the fly in the ointment is no.1 bore has two gouges, not very deep but big enough to catch a fingernail. I think I'm going to build a frankengine in that I'm going to use my old bottom end with the new head and pistons. Hopefully it'll all me ok with new rings and pistons!! Actually that said I'm tempted to use my old camshafts (with their lifters and springs... hmmmm

scratches.jpg

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue May 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Work continues apace, I’ve honed the bored, stripped the head lapped the inlet and new exhaust valves, the old ones were pitted and a little concave, pic below. Next on the list is to rebuild the head, I’m guessing I should scuff the camshaft end where it is in contact with the (new) oil seals?

197AB6B8-9D46-4E2D-9C59-6F4FC5B656AA.jpeg

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Valves in, got the knack of collets after the fourth valve, was swearing a bit by then!!
272A5CD3-599D-4D6F-9B5C-46773E90015C.jpeg

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Wed May 06, 2020 6:02 pm

Valves look incredibly clean and shiny mate! Looks good.

Yeah, those collets require a steady hand, a bit of luck and a whole lot of patience! :lol:
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Return to “Car Related Discussion”