Viento project, part deux

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Re: Viento project, part deux

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Fantastic - chocolate cylinder heads!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Fury1630 wrote:Fantastic - chocolate cylinder heads!

Hope they don't melt too quick :D They do look a bit chocolate, probably the poor light, high ISO and no flash.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:00 pm

A few hours spent sorting out out a few parts.. The 4.6 came in bits, so separated the pistons from the rods then dug out the con rod bolts and end caps and spent a while matching them up, as the previous owner didn't mark them. He did mark the pistons using a hammer and Chisel by the looks of things, lucky he didn't do the same to the rods, knob.

I'll measure the con rod big ends to make sure they are matched ok. New standard oem ones are £80 each, there are no forged ones as such, unless you want to do some serious machining which I don't... therefore it's worth the effort getting them paired up properly. If There is any doubt I'll have to bite the bullet and get new ones.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:38 pm

Mike we have all the stuff at work for checking the sizes of the big ends, got proper mercer gauge and also set of internal micrometers.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Dick wrote:Mike we have all the stuff at work for checking the sizes of the big ends, got proper mercer gauge and also set of internal micrometers.

Thanks Dick, I'll pop up with them after the hols. :)

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 am

Popped along to the car yesterday, the rear end has 100mm lobro bolt on shafts so the diff swap should be easy enough. Though I've also cleaned up a spare set of hub carriers and pressed some new bearings in which I'm using to sort the bracketry out for the brakes. I'll probably swap them out anyhow when I do the diff swap.

Also spent a bit of time scratching my chin sizing up the brackets. Looks pretty straight forward except the hub on the car is a big lump and clearance for the handbrake caliper is minimal. Looks like the handbrake caliper will need to be mounted at the top to clear the suspension etc.It wouldn't take much to make brackets for all options so I'm not held up when swapping the brakes over. If all else fails then I'll just leave it in gear.. :lol:

andyf

Postby andyf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am

Or convert to a fly off hydraulic handbrake :twisted:
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Not sure I've enough coin to bribe the MOT tester Andy.. :lol:

Bad day at the office, rear ended at lunch time, my ar5e is fine, but daily driver took a bit of a hit, a right royal pita.

Superficially car don't look too bad, at best needs a respray on the bumper or replacing if any of the mounts are broken. Unfortunately there's a few sensors around the back, most of which have stopped flashing, bleeping or doing whatever their thing is. Along with a renewed reticence to recharge through the rear bumper mounted socket, this could get a bit complicated.

As I said to the guy (numerous times) I really don't need this sh1t.

1st world problems,.. Hey ho.

Dick

Postby Dick » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Well on the plus side when they take it in you could ask them to fix the door . You may even get a proper car to use why it's being repaired. Take it back to merc for the repair as not worth the agro when you have to give it back.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Dick wrote:Well on the plus side when they take it in you could ask them to fix the door . You may even get a proper car to use why it's being repaired. Take it back to merc for the repair as not worth the agro when you have to give it back.

Already told the accident management company, they hire cars in, so should be able to get me something I can fit in. I'll speak to them again about the charging issues as I really don't want to be bouncing between the stealers and accident repair company to get sorted.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”