2.0 Zetec tapping noise advice

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Plunky

2.0 Zetec tapping noise advice

Postby Plunky » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Good evening all,
I'm having a few problems with a new blacktop engine that I have fitte to my formula 27.
I'm getting a tapping/knocking noise, which sounds like it's from the top end. This seems to be more present when hot.
Please see the the following link for a video.
http://youtu.be/JwLGqZtpDfc
I have been told it could be a cam follower, or even the timing could be out.
Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone local able to offer a hand?
Cheers,
Liam

Matth93

Re: 2.0 Zetec tapping noise advice

Postby Matth93 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:11 pm

The standard valve timing on a zetec is quite easy to check you need a flat bar which goes across the back of the cams and a pin which locks the crank. The pin to lock the crank goes into a hole in the block on the inlet side ( if I remember right) you have to take out a 10mm bolt/plug you then put a pin in the hole turn the crank by hand and it will lock against the pin. Then if you take the cam cover off you will see the slot in the back of the cams these should be lined up and then the bar will sit across the two and against the head. It may be that the slot is not level with the head top surface if so take the pin out and turn the crank 1 turn locking it up again with the pin. If the cam slots are not in line then yes your timing needs adjusting. This is if you are running standard cams racy ones may be different. I'll see if I can find some pics in a manual for you in a bit.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Ok found a haynes manual. So apparently the locking pin is on the exhaust side ( sorry got it wrong ) and the pin can be made from a m10 bolt it needs to be 63.4mm long from the underside of the bolt head to tip and the bar needed is 5mm thick and 230mm long. Here's some pics sorry they're upside down. Hope this helps
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Colin P

Postby Colin P » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:30 am

Plunky, you say its a "new blacktop engine", it is really new or just new to you? If it used, how many miles are on it? The tappets on the blacktops do tend to get noisy over time since unlike the Silvertops (which are hydraulic) they have solid tappets with shims. There's a lot on the web about about this, mostly talking about using the correct oil grade etc, they can be reset/reshimmed but apparently this is a 100,000 mile service job and very seldom required (according to the net again!)..... usual kit car solution is to get a noisier exhaust so you can hear it!

Plunky

Postby Plunky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies, really helpful!
The engine is new to me. I was told around 30-40k, however I have no proof.
What are peoples opinion of the noise in the video? Would you say it was definitely top end?
Thanks,
Liam

Return to “Car Related Discussion”