Car to Car progress?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Car to Car progress?

Postby greenwoo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:16 pm

OK, i'll go first and see if Neil concurs :lol:

Here are the usual caveats. We're all adults ( well age wise ) , so what anyone decides to do is up to them. The idea is not to have a shouting match ( see what i did there), but to give you guys some views.

What became apparent is that for our use it could be argued that there are many variables/variants that could be trialled, the bottom line is that you could choose something that is more/less effective - BUT if the others aren't in the same game then you'll not get the real benefit. By which i mean; if everyone else in the world has a super smart phone and you have a Nokia 6310 - you can still talk to them and they you, but if you run a 'rig' that has a longer/shorter range you'll dip in/out of the 'usefullness' - because either you'll hear then and won't be able to respond or vice versa.

So what did we do.
we had the Baofengs supposedly outputting at 4 watts, or whatever they really do ( without proper checking gear it could have been 3 watts or 3.5 or..., but in reality we know according to the spec's that it was more than a 'normal' .5 watt PMR).
We had the magnetic aerials around 40cm high.
These were mounted in 2 different positions during the trial and at the end we tried 1 stubby aerial on N's unit.

First trial.
Aerial was on top of my rollbar ( only place above the rear deck where i could get a solid mount as didnt have time to lash up a temporary platform for it to sit on). Neils was inside the boot with about 15cm showing above the rear cover.
Neil had his crash helmet + speakers inside, i had the supplied with kit cheapy over the ear joke with a tiny mic which had the PTT button on it.
soooooo. we averaged clearly a little over .5 mile.
Neil came through perfectly in my ear piece ( had my ear defenders over the top of the receiver), my responses became muffled/noisy due to the wind noise.
we trialled that for a few miles. At that .5 mile range it was crystal clear.

Trial 2.
both aerials on top of rollbars.
i swapped the cheapy ear piece/mic for a more expensive one, with a boom mic. So still single ear piece which i had under the defenders and the boom was a thin arm.
Too thin to withstand faster driving and again the wind noise was a bit naughty at higher speeds. ( N lent me an additional foam cover and this i believe made things crystal clear again up to about 50-60 ).
distance: we managed over 4 miles for some distance, but i would say that sensibly over quite some time we hit more than 2. So i would think that this would be the minimum baseline.
and i would say that when we weren't pushing the boundaries the clarity was good, infact often crystal clear.

Trial 3
as above but N had the stubby on his unit not the bigger aerial.
Managed no more than .6 of a mile and the trial was not long, so not sure how consistent that would be.

Ease of use & usefullness.
1/ PTT button needs to be somewhere sensible, having it on the Mic is not an option. I drove way too many miles 1 handed today. But this is easily overcome.
2/ Units - doddle, although once on/set to the channel they want to be somewhere where you won't knock them around - in case you inadvertently change a channel. These ones are small and seem quite robust.
3/ aerial to units is simple coax + connector, unit to ear/mic is 1 cable - easy.

Obviously there was a lot of 'can you hear me' - to test the range. But in the latter part of the run we deviated from the ITN and i guided Neil clearly although i was a good 2 miles+ down the road. At one point down a lane i came round a bend to find a tractor hedgecutting - a good example of a warning back down the line.

Interruptions/others.
at the end of the day as we parted ways we could hear someone else briefly. If i understand correctly CTCSS and the like is a tone that you can program into your device that helps keep 'chats' private. i wont try to explain how as although i think i have a fair idea i dont want to get it wrong and spark a debate. Suffice to say IF we're explroing this route with others buying gear - we would all want & need to program a weird/unusual 'tone'frequency for that CTCSS to stop 99.9% of unwelcomed calls/announcements. This is easy enough to do, but if folks havent done this, then their transmissions to the others would NOT be heard!

Cost of the gear today came in around £60 per car - WITHOUT the ear piece, the one i had that was effective for me was about £20, might be worth try9ing a throat mic that uses muscle movement rather than words to transmit. They can also be had for that sort of money.
Aerial - could be that a cheaper one would be as effective, thing is without doing back to back trials you'll never know!
so guess the price point is £80 and upward to as much as you want to spend on the hearing/speaking side ( Peltors and the like don't come cheap ).

My own opinion of the units for our type of use ( unit meaning radio) - for MY use.
i'm torn between this unit and going for the larger 8watt one. before anyone jumps up and down. I haven't researched this to the nth degree as it came up in conversation earlier. But i know that many of these can be programmed to output on pmr at a lower level - not the full 8 watts! The reason for considering this is that I might be tempted to do the 'Ham Exam' - as N posted earlier in this thread its £27 for the actual exam and that allows use of units up to 10 watts. NOT on PMR of course! For that to be effective a few guys would have to join the party - otherwise we'd have the majority on PMR band and 1-2 on a different frequency range. Potentially you're looking at an average of 6-10 miles ( poss more).

from my side overall.
i've hankered after car to car for a while.
It only makes sense if a few come to the party.
This set up worked and has a viable cost threshold ( i imagine for those that would be interested ).
If others want to remain fully legit - then there's still a use, and in truth at that price point prob worth doing. Possibly by trial and error you might find that an integral aerial that's longer than a normal stubby on a 'norma'l PMR radio gives a performance that's not far off what we had. On that point we don't know, and frankly for me, i'd rather not play a game of seeing what does/not work ( for my purposes). So...i'll stick with what i have, or will upgrade to a 8watt unit with a view to doing the exam ( if others fancy that route as well).

N - over to you fella for your thoughts on today?

David T

Postby David T » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for taking the time and gambling the expense in the name of research. Sounds like there might be a workable solution in there.

The Ham Exam may be interesting. Hopefully the eggzaminer is not too strict!

Look forward to Neils review too. YouTube i hope. ;-)

Can you share details of the aerial and headset choices?

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Roger Roger!!! Can you hear me out there? Quite a bit of that today.

I alluded to this in my earlier post but it is a complex subject and one that we two are green as grass. So dummies guide to today:

I concur with M on the ranges and clarity. I had a problem with my peltors boom Mike so went straight to my in helmet set up. M reported very little wind noise from me and once I'd form socked his boom Mike his sound quality did improve a lot. So recommendation 1 is reduced wind noise as much as possible. Obvious I know but important.

Range is king as for our use (mobile) it's the distances apart when the car to car comes in most useful. I think it's fair to say we were both Crystal clear in any conditions hills, trees etc at about a mile with the aerials on top of the cage. After that environmentals started to impact. The best we got was 4 miles when the planet's aligned. On a road trip we know we can scatter to the winds in groups quickly so this may or may not be universally helpful however we will probably be able to relays messages as multiple groups are in and out of range of each other if you see what I mean?! In small breakfast run groups the only challenge will be putting up with the banter I suspect.

Mounting the kit is next. Richard would have been proud of us today with the spaghetti in the driving seats of our cars. So a clean installation is important.

Having spoken to one of my Programme Managers at work who has just got licensed (foundation course that allows up to 10watts rigs) as a "Ham" he uses it as he's in a 4x4 response club and he gets minimum 10 miles and up to 40 miles depending on the environmental conditions. So I'm going to investigate this option on the basis that even the United I have now would be usable, the range would cover all our needs and the other implications are all covered. I will obviously report back on this.

So to conclude. The radio added a new dimension to the run today and I was impressed with the clarity for such cheap units. It's not perfect but what is. All in all great potential.

Discuss
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:19 pm

David T wrote:Thanks for taking the time and gambling the expense in the name of research. Sounds like there might be a workable solution in there.

The Ham Exam may be interesting. Hopefully the eggzaminer is not too strict!

Look forward to Neils review too. YouTube i hope. ;-)

Can you share details of the aerial and headset choices?

David, I'm told the foundation exam is straight forward. My man is bringing the book in next week and I'm going to talk to some centrally located radio clubs about a group booking blah blah.....

I can't comment on my peltor bins as I had a Mike issue today but wind shielding is key I suggest.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

russtik

Postby russtik » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:18 pm

So was today's test at 4 watts + high gain antenna?

What about a throat mic?
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Sounds interesting and promising, if more use them then an etiquette would probably be developed which will avoid some of the "can you hear me" stuff. Used to have a CB radio back in the day, we used some ten codes and a bit of other lingo, just made it easier to find and acknowledge each other. You don't need to do the full monty, smokey and the bandit effect mind you.. :D

Well done for your efforts thus far. :)
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm

The right aerial and mounting will be the key to both TX & RX distances. Half wave dipole would be 147/433hz = 33.9cm so something like this

http://nathan.chantrell.net/old-stuff/r ... e-antenna/

with the correct lengths would give you very good distances even on 0.5W.

It has been a long time since I did comms/radar in the RN but I can still remember some of it. I was always more involved in Klystons, Magnetons and Lecher Lines but basic Dipole theory is still in there somewhere.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 pm

Interesting. For me it's gotta have a good range, so the back markers can keep up ;-) Very interested in the 'Ham Exam'.
Over...
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

steve m

Postby steve m » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:58 am

I passed my RT licence in 1989 when i was i did my PPL, does that consitute as having a
"Ham licence" ?
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:36 am

We'll done for the work and investment so far guys. As a tail ender the range is the point of real interest I always imagine you lot being Miles ahead. Use of a helmet / mike all the time verse a decent wind capiable mike, still watching with interest.
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Return to “Car Related Discussion”