So, my first kit on a budget - Seven or a Dutton ?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

plug

Re: So, my first kit on a budget - Seven or a Dutton ?

Postby plug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 pm

patience is a virtue when buying a cheap kit car. Keep checking pistonheads classified eveyday which is what I did and wait for the right car. Old Westfields do come up occasionally very cheap and note that they have there own section and are not under the kit cars section
Good luck

davetvhuk

Postby davetvhuk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:11 am

I thought 7 years ago that a Dutton would be a good way to get into kit cars, and again budjet was a big factor. I have an S3 and it is now well established as a Family member.
The plan was to move on to a Westie, but at 6'2" I don't seem to fit in my mate's.
The Dutton's getting long in the tooth now, mine is 1984, based on Ford running gear the only Triumph part is the top wishbone. I suppose it could be classed as a classic in the world of kits.
There are quite a few about at the moment, check out the Dutton Owners Club website Classified http://www.duttonownersclub.co.uk/ there one on for £495
Attachments
Dutton at Stoneleigh 2005 1.JPG
Dutton at Stoneleigh 2005 1.JPG (33.88 KiB) Viewed 2940 times

earlybay

Postby earlybay » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:02 am

thanks for that - helpful, as I am 6' 4'' which I guess could be an issue with some kits ...

Theres a 1600 crossflow-powered S2 on the dutton site which looks interesting ..

earlybay

Postby earlybay » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am

Ok, ive decided I really want a Seven-style car - the Dutton would just be a stand-in, so Im going to wait until I can find some more money ... out of interest, whats the 'pecking' order in terms of Seven copies - any thoughts ? I assume starting with Caterham, and Westfield at the top, whats people's opinion going down from there ?

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 am

you really haven't been on many of these forums before have you :-)
you've just asked the sort of question which is akin to Lobbing the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Realistically budget and personal taste is still going to be the major factor for you, infact you'll problem open a new can of worms in terms of opening the choice up in due course when funds allow: bike engine, car engine, which car engine etc etc.
Also one other major factor will be the quality of the car you buy - irrespective of the make. Aside from personal taste on looks, my own opinion is that the 7esque type cars: mk,luego,tiger and all the rest etc will all offer you a great driving experience. The notable differences in performance/handling possibly only truly visible on the track. If you're looking to enjoy a weekend run out it could be argued that it doesnt matter too much what you're in.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:34 pm

It also depends what you mean by "pecking order". In general term you're right, "Caterfields" as seen as the top of the heap, however, Sylvas (Striker, Fury, Phoenix) win all the races :twisted:

A badly built CateringVan will be worse that a well built almost-anything-else, but will sell for twice the price. As has been said, for a Sunday blat, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. Personally I'd look for a well built car with a low-power engine - say 1300 X-flow. That will keep the price you pay down, it'll be fast enough to be fun while being docile enough to get the hang of, & changing to a more powerful engine isn't difficult. But that's just my opinion - there are many others / enthusiasm may go down as well as up / drive responsibly etc :roll:

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:41 pm

When I bought mine I had a budget and I stuck to it. I just made a list of "must haves" and "would likes" and tried to find something for that money. For instance the engine fitted was more important to me than the interior and other bits I've changed since.

earlybay

Postby earlybay » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes - should have reliased that would put the cat among the pidgeons !!

and thanks for the thoughts - I think like many Im after a fun car that doestn have to serve as a practical daily-driver - and I like the idea of simple, light as a possible, car engined, not bothered about any practicalities ... I will begin the search .. .

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Don't forget to enjoy the search. Its half the fun.

.........Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 am

A few test drives first always helps!
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

Return to “Car Related Discussion”