Midlana Build

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisS

Re: Midlana Build

Postby ChrisS » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks chaps.

@nelmo Funny you say that, the examiners next re-test after mine was test number 4 for the car in question. An old RH that had a fail sheet as long as your arm apparently. It would be unlucky to fail a re-test normally though I'd think.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:25 am

ChrisS wrote:Thanks chaps.

@nelmo Funny you say that, the examiners next re-test after mine was test number 4 for the car in question. An old RH that had a fail sheet as long as your arm apparently. It would be unlucky to fail a re-test normally though I'd think.

Ha, you never hear about those builds on forums ;)

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Woah! This thread wasnt on my radar! Great job and great car mate!!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Any finished pics mate? Prove it happened 'n that :D

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:31 am

Hammy wrote:Any finished pics mate? Prove it happened 'n that :D

'K ;)

IVA take 2.jpeg

Midlana IVA certificate.jpeg

As you can see from the certificate, it's a bit of a bloater! It does ride nicely though, and goes well enough.

Post-test academic pondering and I have a feeling that the brakes thing and pre-IVA MOT pass was my mistake and misleading. I gave what I thought the actual weight was to the MOT tester (which was too low anyway), so of course, the brake test used that figure as the GVW...so it passed. And the MOT limits are 50% where IVA is 60%. If I'd known the correct value for weight and given that at the MOT it almost certainly would have failed. Truthfully, although I was able to lock the fronts before the mods, the brakes were rubbish and I wouldn't have left them like that even if by some miracle it had passed.

Registration paperwork in the post today, hopefully I gave them all they need to work their magic.

There was some discussion about which form I should use. Back in late 2018 when I wrote to DVLA to ask for a VIN, they kindly sent me a V55/5 among other forms. Having got past the IVA I got to the registration but was a bit confused by the wording of the guides for the V55/4 and V55/5 Wrote to DVLA again and they once again confirmed that as my build has secondhand major components I should use the V55/5....although they did say that had I used the V55/4, they wouldn't have rejected it as it captures all the info they need anyway.....

SO, in conclusion, if you are aiming for a new registration number, V55/4, if you want Q or age related, V55/5 seems to be the definitive answer.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Final update from me on my build - V5C just arrived so it's done. I taxed it from 1st April (seemed apt) so I'll pop to Halfords between now & then to get some plates made up.

If anyone fancies building one, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm

Well done Chris, a great achievement. Happy motoring!
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:34 pm

b33fy wrote:Well done Chris, a great achievement. Happy motoring!

Thanks Mike, and again, thank you for the inspiration to build one, and also, again, apologies for hijacking your build thread :)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:02 pm

It certainly looks amazing in the photo above, it must have real presence on the road 8-)

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 pm

great effort Chris, you must be very pleased and you should be. Looking forward to seeing it out and about.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”