Midlana Build

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Hammy

Re: Midlana Build

Postby Hammy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Woah! This thread passed me by and Im another 1 that hasnt heard of a Midlana, looks bloomin' great and well done a staying at it for sooooo long mate!

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:44 pm

@Hammy I didn't start the build proper until August 2017 (finished the build table 31st July), although I did spend some time before then sourcing and tidying donor parts.

IVA date came in, 14th December...yes, this year!! Perfect weather for driving an open top car. Pre IVA MOT is booked for the 1st so I can check emissions, headlamp aim, brakes etc. I know there are mixed feelings about a pre MOT, but I did one on my last build and never regretted it. All the bits that matter are new and as good as a new car from a manufacturer, but I really don't mind having an MOT every year.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:33 pm

You don't have to have an official MOT - just book it as one and ask the garage to not record it on the system. The place i went, they were so interested to see a kit, they didn't even charge me :-)

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:56 am

nelmo wrote:You don't have to have an official MOT - just book it as one and ask the garage to not record it on the system. The place i went, they were so interested to see a kit, they didn't even charge me :-)

What's the advantage to not having it recorded?

This won't be registered as 'new' as it has assorted parts like the engine & 'box that haven't been refurbished...not that I'd want anything other than a Q plate on it anyway. Always been my understanding that unless it's 'new' it'll need an MOT anyway. There does seem to be a lot of FUD around this topic though so it wouldn't surprise me to find out I'm wrong!

I know folk can get a bit exercised at having to MOT their freshly built pride and joy but it really doesn't bother me - in fact, I welcome it.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:23 am

The only advantage is you have 3 years before your next one. If you get the MOT registered, pass or fail, your next one is in a year, no matter what (unless i've got that wrong? There was a post on another forum saying that).

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 am

Apologies, forgot I hadn't updated this thread. MOT was an easy pass, IVA was a fail. 3 things.

1 Missing label on the brake fluid reservoir. I don't actually agree with this one as they have the graphic on the cap, and the words in the IVA book (and the fail note) say 'either or', but for the sake of a sticky table, I'm not going to argue.

2 Axle weights - combination of things but basically, they were simply wrong. I have new weights, have made a new chassis plate and hopefully(!) have got the info passed to DVSA so the examiner gets the new numbers at re-test.

3 Brakes - they felt pretty crap driving to the MOT and did pass the test...but probably only because I gave the wrong weight. Anyway, they were a proper fail at the IVA. Combination of things. Pedalbox ratio wrong, 5.1:1 instead of 6.25:1 so I fitted a new one. That was worth 20% more straight away, but I decided to go nuts and replaced the stock MX5 brakes with some Wilwood Dynalite at the front with the biggest pistons they do (+50% area vs the Mazda) and some 300mm discs (vs 255mm Mazda). At the rear, I was going to use Granada Scorpio calipers but the disc was the thing really as I had almost zero room to change things at the back, so I ended up with some Hyundai I30N rear calipers and discs. The caliper pistons are 40% bigger than the Mazda ones and the discs have gone from 276 solid to 316mm vented. No bad thing to have plenty of rear brakes on a mid engine layout.

I was already running the smallest and next smallest masters so had nowhere to go there, which was partly why I decided to go nuts with calipers and discs.

Did another MOT brake test and got some really good numbers this time. Put them into the IVA spreadsheet along with the corrected weights and it looks like an easy pass. They feel pretty epic now too.

Re-test is 4th March.

So, anyone need a set of brakes for an MX5? NA/NB, all calipers rebuilt with new points & seals, everything blasted, zinc plated or painted as appropriate, new discs & pads and at the back, a pair of adapters that allow the use of the 276mm Sport discs. Whole kit only did about 40 miles. Filled with Comma synthetic DOT4 fluid so compatible with anything pretty much.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:27 pm

I would change the plate and remove the weights completely - they don't have to be there and you risk a fail. No way I'd trust one government department to successfully talk to another one :D

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:09 pm

Good luck for the 4th :D

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Good luck with the retest, just in time for spring
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:37 pm

nelmo wrote:I would change the plate and remove the weights completely - they don't have to be there and you risk a fail. No way I'd trust one government department to successfully talk to another one :D

Well damn, I never spotted that the weights are optional! It's OK, they match the paperwork (see next paragraph!) and those need to be right anyway for the brake/weights/balance test.

I share the paranoia about left hand/right hand though so rang DVSA again today to absolutely confirm the new weights have made it to the application paperwork. They have, so as long as the inspector sees the same info.....

Hopefully I'll update with a pass on Thursday.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”