Midlana Build

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

David T

Re: Midlana Build

Postby David T » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Scenic!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:30 pm

David T wrote:Looking good Mike. That's quite an angle on the steering UJ. I assume it works okay. What's the donor for the column?

Yep Scenic, lol,, reversed the mounting brackets so it now sits on top rather than be underslung, removed the tilt mechanism as well, a few spacers will be added if required. A bit of messing about though less hassle in the medium/long term, with all the required switch's on the stalk, along with self cancelling indicators. I need to add a hazard switch, which I'll mount on the cowling Ford Ka style The only other "switch is a brake fluid test press button which I can add as part of the required warning lights, though I understand that the hand brake possibly counts as this, I'll double check the IVA guidance at some point then decide on a plan of action then.

The column's not connected to the rack as yet hence the angle, as I need to make, steal or buy a bespoke shaft, I need a sierra triangle on one end and a 14mm square on the other, shouldn't be too difficult.
Last edited by b33fy on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Dick wrote:You found it then :lol:

It was a struggle.. :lol:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Dave Z

Postby Dave Z » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:22 pm

other "switch is a brake fluid test press button which I can add as part of the required warning lights, though I understand that the hand brake possibly counts as this, I'll double check the IVA guidance at some point then decide on a plan of action then.

I used the handbrake which was acceptable for IVA.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Cheers Dave, hoping to keep the dash clutter to a minimum, so that's one less light to bother with. Planning on a dash2 pro. The more I save on switches, warning lights etc, the more I can justify the cost of the dash. Spent a fortune on savage switches and lights, the last time round, which were a load of crap.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Good to see you back on the build Mike.

Which pedal assembly is that? Looks good.

Finished dismembering my Alfa 166 donor now - last load off to the tip this very minute as soon as I finish typing this...

Picked up a 1998 MX5 donor for sensible money too. That's the next unwilling victim for the Sawzall.....

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:44 pm

ChrisS wrote:Good to see you back on the build Mike.

Which pedal assembly is that? Looks good.

Finished dismembering my Alfa 166 donor now - last load off to the tip this very minute as soon as I finish typing this...

Picked up a 1998 MX5 donor for sensible money too. That's the next unwilling victim for the Sawzall.....

Thanks Chris, it's the same pedal box as used by Kurt, it may have been easier to do floor mounted ones, pro's and cons either way. I see you are cracking on. Did you cut the Alfa into little bits to take to the tip? Must have been a nuisance.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:17 am

Ah, I should have recognised that shouldn't I! 5/10 for homework :( It's looking good though - more pictures please! :)

Yep, had to dismember it myself in the end. Local scrappers didn't want to know. I would have had to hire or borrow a trailer to move it myself, so decided to just buy a cheap reciprocating saw and try cutting it up. Apart from the front screen, it was easy. I was trying not to make too much of a mess so cut that out with some stainless welding wire. Took ages, was hard graft and got myself some tasty bruises as the wire kept snapping. Chopped the carcass into about 20 bits ranging from small (B pillars) to large (half a rear quarter). Biggest single piece was the roof. Got rid of it in a few visits to the local tip which is only a small detour on my way to work. A minor PITA - suppose I could have paid to have it taken away but this way I still have a beast of a saw at the end of it all. Ideal for chopping up the MX5....... If I didn't have the Jeep to transport the bits it would have been a different matter I think.

The saw was excellent. Snapped one blade (my fault), wore one out, partly wore out a second. Not bad at just over £1 a blade. Way better than using a grinder.

Fortunately, I have a decent space of hardstanding out the back of the house and it didn't take too long to do so hopefully didn't annoy the neighbors too much. Doesn't make all that much more noise than your average petrol weed-whacker and only in short bursts as well.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Its the sort of thing I'd do Chris, give myself a load of grief, though at least get a power tool at the end of it. Got a Hitachi reciprocating saw, great tool though not the best for any modicum of accuracy.

Ordered some carbon cycle wings from kit cars direct via a Locost group buy as the deal was too good to miss.. arrived today, nice enough though a few blemishes in the weave and gel coat, for £100 I'm not complaining. Won't need them for a while mind...

David T

Postby David T » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:38 am

b33fy wrote:
David T wrote:Looking good Mike. That's quite an angle on the steering UJ. I assume it works okay. What's the donor for the column?

Yep Scenic, lol,, reversed the mounting brackets so it now sits on top rather than be underslung, removed the tilt mechanism as well, a few spacers will be added if required. A bit of messing about though less hassle in the medium/long term, with all the required switch's on the stalk, along with self cancelling indicators. I need to add a hazard switch, which I'll mount on the cowling Ford Ka style The only other "switch is a brake fluid test press button which I can add as part of the required warning lights, though I understand that the hand brake possibly counts as this, I'll double check the IVA guidance at some point then decide on a plan of action then.

The column's not connected to the rack as yet hence the angle, as I need to make, steal or buy a bespoke shaft, I need a sierra triangle on one end and a 14mm square on the other, shouldn't be too difficult.

Do you mean the triangle clamp and UJ section? I've got one that you could have.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”