Insurance - read on please chaps....

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

PaddyX21

Re: Insurance - read on please chaps....

Postby PaddyX21 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Davemg wrote:Firstly, my apologies for having a rant but this has seriously "got my goat".

Despite a lot of effort, I have failed to insure my son on my Quantum Xtreme. The only cover available is Third Party Fire & Theft, which then applies to both of us; and at £260, a fairly hefty premium compared with £130 for me alone fully-comp, and a risk for a car worth about £9k.

The universal response is "ah, he's under 25".... presumably that means the underwriters feel he will be a boy racer. This is the "boy" who is a Manager in a business, drives a 245 bhp 3.0 V6 Diesel Jaguar XF and gets 55mpg+ (!), has a clean licence (not even a parking ticket since 17), passed his test in 6 weeks (and Pass Plus), has had a BMW Mini John Cooper Works, etc. He's even a member of our local Speedwatch volunteer speed trap initiative with Essex Police. 2gether tried very hard, but failed to convince the underwriters. No comprehensive cover, at any cost - not even a daft quote!

Yet - he can easily get insured - for £1000 - fully comprehensive on a Jag XFR 5.0 V8, and a BMW M5, a BMW M3, and Aston DB9, an Audi S8, and an Ariel Atom (which is, of course, not a kit car). However, a kit car with an engine out of an old Sierra (Pinto) worth a fraction of the amount, no deal.

Absolutely, head smackingly, mad. I would really love someone from the Insurance industry to explain why the under 25's are banned from Kit Cars and Classic Car Insurance. This is as ridiculous as the loaded premiums for young drivers, many of whom drive far better than much older drivers.

Insurance Underwriters - let's hear your response to this one if you are brave enough.

Sad that this is the sate of affairs now.

I had two kit's insured in my name by the age of 18, both with Footman James incidentally.

Was expensive by comparison to over 25 kit insurance (2-3 times premium ish) but cheaper by miles than any tin top, even the smallest weedyist car. £400-600 mark rings a bell.

That would have been about 12 13 years ago roughly.
Nova Mk2 - 2.5 Subaru engined lunacy
MG Midget 1500 - broken gearbox!

Davemg

Postby Davemg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Just renewed with Aplan - £108 plus the breakdown insurance £40. Not a bad deal for a Quantum Xtreme, agreed value £9k.

While I was at it they also beat the best Classic Car Insurance offer for our Rover Mini - myself and my 23 year old son driving, with breakdown cover, just under £250.

Both on £3k limits.

They would insure my son on the Quantum but it was another £200. Being a cruel father he can follow in the Mini!!

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Just renewed my European breakdown cover with A Plan and found that it had been reduced from £70 to £40. Well done A Plan just wonder what they are going to do with my annual cover.
James
The man in the Red Coat

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:37 pm

yes just to, reiterate - i renewed this week at a very competitive price and then took advantage of the EU/UK Recovery at £39.50 - no brainer!

graham b

Postby graham b » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:38 pm

just renewed with A plan
when i changed from the westfield (was £143 last july) to the caterham the 6 months from
january to july (normal renew ) cost £137 so i was told to expect about £350
at the normal renew time,
however it came in at £318.13 inc. agreed value ,so happy enough,
as an aside flux wanted £477 :(
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

davesams

Postby davesams » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Thats, interesting as i have just had a renewal notice from A Plan for twice that !!!
R6 valued at 12k.
No points and locked in a secured alarmed industrial unit
I will be having words then.

Dave

Clearly individual circumstances will affect any quotes, but to give you a taster.....i have just insured the r6 with an agreed val of 14k ( bear in mind that's high due to new parts fitted last year,plus the refurb it had done last year )....with 5k limit on miles that came out at £120.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 am

The logic of car insurance Denys me.. Volvo insurance needs renewing, paid £450 last year with A plan, £490 this year with 10% no claims. Wtf.

Just done a search like for like, Tesco’s.. £297. Want to stick with one service, but not if I’m being mugged off.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

graham b

Postby graham b » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:53 am

Try LV.
Carols car renewal
£297.
LV = £186.
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Nash

Postby Nash » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Both SWMBO and I are with LV for the Tin tops and they are very keen on price/spec!

Not sure A Plan can compete on normal cars?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:42 pm

The problem is, when you go straight to the Insurance company there is no money going to a broker. As A plan are brokers, they are always going to struggle to match a direct quote from one of the big insurance companies.

With our kits, it seems the insurance comapnies don't like to deal direct, so the broker gets a fair chance.

The insurance companies quote very competitively the first year, but it normally rises a lot the next year.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”