My Winter Project

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Dick

Re: My Winter Project

Postby Dick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 am

[quote="Mattijs"]Nice top-down view of the current situation. Everything that connected the engine to the chassis has been removed. To get some clearance on the right side of the gearbox (this was hitting the chassis in bumnpy left handers) and to get a straighter driveline (as advised and demonstrated by Tony H today), the engine is now offset to the left. Unfortunately, this means that the small chassis rail in the bottom right now touches the bell housing, so this will have to be moved.

I would not remove the small chassis rail in the bottom right if i was you. Can you not lift that side up a bit or remove the lump off the bellhousing as has allready been said or move the enine forward a bit

Ade

Postby Ade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 am

I have a gap about the width of a finger between the chassis and bell-housing on my Six. I've never had any handling issues regarding the gearbox hitting the chassis. Maybe it was a result of the engine mounting plates flexing that gave you your trouble. I also run harder than normal engine mount rubbers on mine to further limit movement on what is a very tight engine bay. When doing your mods, keep an eye on oil-filler cap to bonnet clearance as it can be quite tight.

Ade
"Growing Old is Compulsory...............Growing Up is Optional"

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 pm

The original RS2000 had "doorbells" that fitted over the rubber mounts, so the engine was still rubber mounted, but how much the mount could deform sideways was strictly limited. You could source a pair of those, or make something similar to keep the movement under control. I haven't looked for those spare mounts yet, but I haven't forgotten either (yet).

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:18 pm

@Tony: that's a good idea, cutting off a bit of bell housing. Maybe it could even turn into a clutch inspection hole?

@Dick: I was going for 'move', not 'remove', but it's proably better and definitely easier to modify the bell housing. If anything, I want the engine a bit further back, though. At the moment, a lot of front propshaft is not actually in the gearbox.

@Ade: yes, I have (had...) an awful lot of engine mount flex. The gearbox mount in particular seems to be made out of jelly. I tried to rock Tony H's engine yesterday, but only rocked the whole Fury. And yes, I noticed the filler cap hitting the bonnet too... It's going a bit more of a squeeze with the engine over to one side. Maybe I'll be the first car with my filler cap sticking out of the bonnet? Would make a nice change from all those airfilters sticking through...

I visited Neil Dunne this morning. He often uses poly bushes for engine mounts. Is that an idea for the Tiger as well? I'm a bit worried about vibrations...

Thanks,
Mattijs

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Poly bushes would be fine, but an expensive fix for a simple problem. It's an easy task to jack up the engine & fit a stiffer mount, so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. The RS2000 "doorbells" WILL stop the enging moving side to side, even with the engine mounts you have if the worst comes to the worst.

Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Have got standard engine mounts on mine not sure but think they came from car builder or from v8 landrover (its an age thing i forget sometimes) :lol: the only poly bush i have used is on the gearbox the engine is very close to everything in my car but must say it seems to stay put and i dont suffer the vibration problems i have seen on some cars

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Dick, the engine is definitely close to everything on your car... :lol: You must have shoehorned it in.

Tony T

Postby Tony T » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Why not put a spacer under the mount and a jubilee clip around the rubber mount and then try it if it stops touching then you no what to do . I have got sume big washers/spacers that i made . pm me and i can post sume to you :)

Tony T

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks, Tony. That has to be a monster jubilee clip, doesn't it? I am starting with trying to get as much clearance as possible, and then use much stiffer mounts. But I'll remember your big washers :D

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Here's a piccie of the left-side mounting plate:

DSC03293 by |\/|attijs, on Flickr

As you can see, there's a bit of weld cracking going on. Although it might be that the bracing under the plate was added to (successfully?) stop this from going any further. Still, strange that the bracer didn't re-weld the plate. The bracing must be added later because it's not poweder coated like the rest of the chassis. So I don't think Tiger did this.

Oh, and my welder isn't going to start anytime soon on the mounts, so I'll have engine out first. If anyone has an engine hoist that they wouldn't mind lending me (keep in mind that I've never used one before), that would be awesome. I have an offer from Duncan, but it's a bit far away to get. And might not even fit in my car...

Return to “Car Related Discussion”