My Winter Project

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: My Winter Project

Postby DJ. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

It's good you don't have to take the engine out at least :)

Duncan

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Mattijs wrote:Thanks, all, I guess I better stock up on beer...

Tony C wrote:Ouch, I can't figure how the brake line has got below the plate at the rear edge, shouldn't it be on top along its entire length?

Tony, the brake lines normally run underneath the engine mounting plate. The plate has rotated because my jack's supporting it at the rear, so the brake line is now above it at the front

Nope, still can't picture that, but maybe a beer would help.........
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

steve m

Postby steve m » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

i do not know how your chassis is set up, but i would imagine taking the engine out would make the repair, and checking for any other damage, a zillion % easier

but at the very least, i would be inclined to remove evrything around the engine, manifolds, alternator, etc etc

Steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Dick wrote:You dont have to take the engine out the tiger engine mounts are not up to the job and need to be re made with a bit of extra iron in them. The top rail should be ok the carbs would have broken befor the rail got bent. Its a bit of a pain but take the mount off and then get the brake pipes out.
Do both mounts

Dick, you're right again. The two engine mounts and mounting plates are quite different left and right, though. I removed the right-side engine mount and mounting plate and took some pictures.

This is the RH mount. Notice that nice long crack along the right? That's almost all the way through, as always right on the weld. The left side is starting as well:

DSC03267 by |\/|attijs, on Flickr

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Side view. Notice that the horizontal plate (vertical on this picture) is bent.

DSC03268 by |\/|attijs, on Flickr
Last edited by Mattijs on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:40 pm

This is the left-side plate from underneath. Notice the additional triangular bracing that's absent on the right side (Tony, that's where the brake lines run on the right side). Also, the vertical plate that bolts to the engine of the LH mount is almost twice as thick as the ripped RH mount.

DSC03263 by |\/|attijs, on Flickr

steve m

Postby steve m » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Matt,
if i am seeing these mounts properly, it appears that a plate of 3mm ish steel is butt welded to the lower front to cockpit beam, and then have a heavy engine plonked on top ?

If so, that seems a DREADFULL design, and whoever is responsible should be shot!
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mattijs

Postby Mattijs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 am

Steve, spot on, it's a 3 mil plate. Look what it did to my poor bottom chassis rail:

DSC03276 by |\/|attijs, on Flickr

Tony T

Postby Tony T » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi the company that made that part should have seen this coming it looks to me like the welding is faulty it's been to hot and that means the ark erodes the steel at the sides of the weld so your 3mm steel becomes 2mm at that point this flat steel should have been 4 or 5mm then erosion is less of a problem.the weld did not brake the flat steel did . moving on to the next pick the fact that i can see the nut tells me that the strongest part of this mounting is 3mm flat steel.the tubing should have continued past the nut for more support.as for the other side of the rubber is a disgrace again the weld did not brake the chassis did. the hole thing has been moving it was never going to work :roll:

Tony T

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Matt,

Another quality design by our friends in Cambridgeshire.............at least the nearside plate looks up to the job. Looks like you'll need to re-route the brake lines to achieve the same on the offside. I'm off to look at my engine mounts, but my recollection is that one or more diagonal tubular chassis tubes terminate under the engine mount on an R6, so hopefully they are helping to hold everything in place.
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Return to “Car Related Discussion”