Bonnet struts

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

MangoFury
Site Admin

Bonnet struts

Postby MangoFury » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:20 am

Yes I know, I should be working, but it's Friday...

Question aimed at those who have a Fury type car with a bonnet:

What method have you used to stop the bonnet tilting too far forward?

I currently have a trusty bit of string that hooks around a coolant pipe jubilee clip and a bonnet catch.

I did recently try fixing a gas strut from a Mondeo tailgate. It works in principle but the strut is just far too string for the GRP bonnet and it's too difficult to close. Might try getting a smaller strut from eBay but not knowing what strength the tailgate strut is rated at, I don't know what strength of strut I would need for the bonnet.

Incidentally, have you ever tried lifting a production car tailgate with the struts removed? Blimey, it's heavy...
2009 Fisher Fury, 2 litre standard Zetec, Honda TBs, Megasquirt ECU

Contaminated

Re: Bonnet struts

Postby Contaminated » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:28 am

I'd just use a couple of rubber or leather strips I think. Either that or put a couple of small motorbike crash bobbins on the lower edge of the bonnet so you can rest it on the ground without scratching.

Fury1630

Re: Bonnet struts

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 am

MangoFury wrote:Question aimed at those who have a Fury type car with a bonnet:

What method have you used to stop the bonnet tilting too far forward?
Incidentally, have you ever tried lifting a production car tailgate with the struts removed? Blimey, it's heavy...

My bonnet stops when the lower edge contacts a couple of aluminium angles on the rad, but as that's not very satisfactory (likely to damage something if a gust of wind or un-careful bystander catches it, I made a very light bonnet strut that clips to the chassis parallel to the steering column & fits into a bracket sikaflexed to the under side of the bonnet. I have all the drawings if it looks like the sort of thing you're looking for.

I guess I'll be seeing you at Stoneliegh so you can look at it there - or pop round if you want to see it sooner. It certainly weighs less than a tail gate gas strut, but if you wanted something similar but with less push, you can get gas struts on Ebay intended for upward opening kitchen cupboards which may be more suitable, probably cheaper, & come in a range of strengths. I have a pair of these on the side screens / deflectors. Again pop round if you want a closer look.

As for tail gate weight - my youngest tried to shut the Zafira tailgate by pulling on a strut & bent it (while loading the car to go on holiday!) & even with one strut still in place it was stupid-heavy.
Attachments
Prop Overall.jpg
This is it stowed
Prop Overall.jpg (353.32 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

Return to “Car Related Discussion”