Brake pedal question

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

MangoFury
Site Admin

Brake pedal question

Postby MangoFury » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 am

I won't go into the history of my brake pedal linkage but as of now it's constructed as shown in the two pictures.

The welded pair of washers (two different sizes) are shown as red and black in the diagram and are welded to the pushrod and move with it as the brake pedal is pressed. The bigger loose washer in the photo (pink in the diagram) stops the whole lot falling out when the pedal comes forward on brake release. It is stopped from coming right out by the circlip (blue) which is part of the master cylinder assembly.

So, to put it together, remove circlip, insert pushrod, slide loose washer into master cylinder and position circlip over it and in master cylinder groove.

The bottom line is that it's a bit of a bodge (though a safe one, I think). If the welded washers part company with the pushrod, the pushrod will try to escape as the pedal falls forward after my foot comes off it. The pedal will actually be held by a cable tie strung between the top of the pedal and the pedal box bulkhead (unless that breaks as well..).

I am curious to know how other people's brake linkages are put together.

The master cylinder is the same as the Sierra donor car's item which has no integral pushrod since it was bolted on the front of the servo in the Sierra. I have seen some with integral pushrods (e.g. http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/s ... &PT_ID=all).

David
2009 Fisher Fury, 2 litre standard Zetec, Honda TBs, Megasquirt ECU

sport 2000 dan

Re: Brake pedal question

Postby sport 2000 dan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi,
The one shown in the link of the westfield site doesn't have an integral push rod as such i.e if you pull of the boot (dust cover) the rod will fall out and it has a circlip stopping the piston from exiting the bore the same as yours.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that the washers are not causing the piston to apply any pressure into the system causing any brake bind. (this is unlikley due to the small thickness of the washers but best make sure)

Regards,
Dan.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”