Race Battery.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Re: Race Battery.

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 am

Car is still at Indulgence so not at the moment. I'll pop into Neaver batteries later and check

.... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 am

Cheers mate I might even get you to get me one :P
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:23 pm

If it's any help I have an Odyssey 680, which is a gel battery (in a hard case before anyone starts the "how do you clamp it down" malarky :lol: ) It's about the same size as a car stereo, is easily picked up with one hand & turns the crossflow over easily. Coming back from Stoneliech last year I had a problem with the ignition & the car just stopped every 10 - 20 minutes but would re-start after some cranking. The little battery got me home with no noticable slowing of the starter. Also had a problem with the alternator at Bentley & drove home to Guildford on battery power (can I claim reduced road tax as a "hybrid"). Again no problem.

I was recomended it by a guy with a blacktop Zetec Fury. Apparently the only dissadvantage is they don't like being left discharged so mine's on a "keeper charger" if it's going to be left for more than a week. It cost £90, but it is about 1/3 the weight of a normal battery & can be mounted just about anywhere in the car, anyway up, so the CG stays nice & low. :geek:

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Cool, where did you get it from for £90 ???
Ben

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Is it a motorcycle battery? If so any bike shop should stock them.

...... Neil

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 pm

12v 315A (CA) £54.95

mower battery

I'll post a piccy of it later

........ Neil

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 pm

I think motorbike batteries aren't any good because they are lot less amps. As the starter motors are smaller.

Had a bike alarm with starter circuit built in and the wires were tiny and you didn't need a relay.
Ben

daxmatt

Postby daxmatt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Remember,once you start adding headlights,fuel pumps,ecu's,frequent starting and stopping,the alternator won't keep up with the drain of a low capacity battery.An important thing that is offen overlooked is the fuel pump,you need top charge to keep that fuel flowing to those injectors,specially on high performance engines.I can't see the saving of a few kilos is worth the risk of a flat battery.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 am

Ben_Copeland wrote:Cool, where did you get it from for £90 ???

From here:-
http://www.knightbatteries.com/prodpage ... 08&next=11

Though it was a couple of years ago & they're now £99. It's not a motorcycle battery, though it's recomended for Goldwings & suchlikes. From the bumf on the web site they're a civilian market version of a mil spec battery. I'm not an electrical :geek: , so I can't comment on power drain from injector pumps etc, but the Fury has a Sierra alternator, but no spot / front fog lights / heater / rear screen heater / heated seats, that the alternator must be speced to live with. It's on carbs so it only has a low pressure electric pump, & as I say, frequent starting? My journey down the M40 last year was drive for 10 min, stop, crank for 2 - 3 min, start, drive for 10 min - for three hours & the battery was fine.

After 3 years - two of them testing (with a couple of dead shorts :oops:), one driving, I have to say, it's a brilliant thing. The weight saving is good, but what appealed to me was the mounting flexibility, & the fact that should the worst happen, it isn't going to leak acid.

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Found a new 680 on eBay for £70 so happy now. Should be fine for what I need it for.

Thanks guys.
Ben

Return to “Car Related Discussion”