Battery

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Battery

Postby greenwoo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:28 pm

ok i've been a goon and cooked my battery....so people, what is the consensus from teh great and the good on here?
i fancy a smaller battery like the odessy range, but the cost of those things is harsh......not really into spending mega bucks right now....but by the same token dont wnat a false economy.
so given that we have nothing exact to compare against....what spec should i look for in any battery?
the engibne is high compression albeit with a geared starter and as per most 'kits' minimal electrics......

other consideration is that i'd need to be able to get one delivered puicked up locally for wednesday latest........

so whcih ones, what spec - why?????

Nogoingback

Re: Battery

Postby Nogoingback » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 pm

I have just ordered one off ebay that is half the size and weight of my existing battery 6kg 77mm x 181mm.
I am taking a bit of a punt on this so would not recommended as it is only 20 amps.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:34 am

I have one of the Odessy batteries and it is amazing. I kept going through conventional batteries but this is half the size, weight and starts the car first time, every time. Recommended.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 am

Odyssey seconded. PC680, When I first had the car on the road there was an intermittant fault with the Lumenition "eye" so the engine cut dead about every 15 mins & took anything up to 20 mins to re-start. OK it's only a 50,000 mile Crossflow, but it started it up every time with no problem even after a LOT of cranking. Mine was £90, but I've heard of people getting them for about £70 off Ebay. I put it on a battery keeper when the car's in the garage as the alarm can run it down after a couple of weeks. But it's been on the car for three years now with no probs at all, the first of those three years was while I was wiring the car up, so it survived the occasional dead short :oops: .

I've also heard that the PC680 it the Ultima factory fit for all the engines they use.

Have a look here http://knightbatteries.com/home.cfm

Failing that, how about a bike battery for one of the bigger BMW bikes? can't imaging they take chances with capacity.

T

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:33 am

These are supposed to be good for the money.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=692_2074

Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 am

Mark, i went the conventional way, fitted the biggest bad boy lead acid battery that i could fit in the space.

1oo Amp hrs
900 CCA
Marine Diesel engine start Battery. :D :lol: :lol: :evil:

kenton

Postby kenton » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 pm

I went with this one http://www.powervampracing.com/detail.asp?ID=24
It has a huge reserve of power, its the same battery they fit in their portable grid start power packs. They do smaller ones
suitable for cars with fewer cylinders.
kenton

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Have just put the new RMD 25 on charge will let you know how i get on should be good as it is Rally Design.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Nogoingback wrote:Have just put the new RMD 25 on charge will let you know how i get on should be good as it is Rally Design.

"Two aviation specification versions of this battery were used on the Harrier VTO aircraft to start the Rolls Royce Pegasus engines."

Not much of an achievement as a jet engine has no compression (stationary) & they have to put a bungie round the fan blades to stop any slight breeze spinning the engine up. I think I'm right in saying that only one is used to start the pegasus, the other is a spare.

T

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:07 pm

So i will have to purchase another one!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”