Is mine the only one?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Tenpin

Is mine the only one?

Postby Tenpin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:26 pm

OK I realise that this posting may well get me lots of stick... But it's not about who's car is better, I'm sure that most of yours are more fun (but maybe in a different way), more effort in building and go quicker than mine (Mark's already put me down as being a "gentleman driver"). :) :)

The question really is: Who else owns a replica?

I chose to do a DNA 3Sixty, I'll post another time about how that choice was made, but I did want something that could be a daily driver.
There must be other replica builder / owners out there... Is it that if you get something that looks like the real thing, you pretend it is and don't get involved in any kit car club?

Own up and join in, bring the car out and play, sure you might feel your car is a little out of place - imagine what mine felt like amongst 74 Cobras / 7esque types etc at Bentley last year, but still it sure was a lot of fun!

- Tenpin

Contaminated

Re: Is mine the only one?

Postby Contaminated » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 pm

It will be interesting to see won't it. I've seen planty of replicas at Detling over the years - we'll have to get Mark to knock up some calling cards!

plug

Postby plug » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Just gone onto the DNA web site and all looks very impressive. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Toltec

Postby Toltec » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Recently I have casually looked into the idea of getting an Elan +2, so what is replica about that you ask?

Well I would like one with a Spyder chassis and suspension, a Zetec engine, fuel injection and modern brakes.

So it would be kind of a replica, just that everything but the body and interior would be replaced.

That might not be what you had in mind though. :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Stuart - i wonder if mine counts - was modelled on a Tiger, a long time ago :-)

Tenpin

Postby Tenpin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:44 am

Well that ended up less painful with the responses than I thought it might. :o :)
Equally, and unfortunately, it didn't get any more replica owners to come forward. It seems that we're a shy, non-attention seeking group of owners, so why did we get one of those in the first place? :roll: Out of all the DNA owners I have come across, there are only 3 or 4 who regularly attend shows and admit to owning a "fake".

@plug Not sure which site you went to - there's an owners club site as well: http://www.dnaoc.co.uk

As for my definition of replica - anything which looks like something it isn't. But, you're right, I was thinking of maybe more "exotic" and rarely seen cars... I guess mine fits into that category, judging by "Joe Public's" reaction to it. - I was getting out of my car to buy some bits for it at Halfords, when a little old lady does a double take and comes up to me and says: "I don't know how you can bear to leave that in a public car park!"

While CKC titled the DNA's as "Great Pretenders", I've been known to refer to mine as "the sheep" - as in "a sheep in wolf's clothing".

So treat this as a rallying call to all replica owners - own up and be seen. Let's add to the great mix of cars on this forum, join in the blats, and by showing the public the diversity of kit cars that exist, encourage others to join in and build cars of their own.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 am

Stuart - you'd better set off round the M25 and lend a hand to 'jets' he's building a Lambo replica if memory serves me......

James

Postby James » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Tenpin,

just dont follow me, because a hot day coupled with my R888's = stoned to death, i try my best to stay in the none gritty bit but it still flings stones!

Toltec

Postby Toltec » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Tenpin wrote:
As for my definition of replica - anything which looks like something it isn't. But, you're right, I was thinking of maybe more "exotic" and rarely seen cars...

RS200 or Stratos replicas?

I would be more than happy to have one of the above, I could also go for one of the older Ferrari replicas, like a Dino for instance. While the DNA cars are not my thing that is not really important, what probably is, are the reasons for having the car. If an owner enjoys having a replica kit rather than pretending it is real then I don't see why they would not fit right in with other kit owners. Part of kit ownership is having something a bit different no? So wouldn't it be dull if everyone liked the same thing?

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:11 pm

+1 on the Stratos and older Ferrari replicas I'd love a P4 or Dino (Probably to fat to fit comfortably in one mind)! :shock:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Its not what you drive itst he way that you drive it!

.........Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Car Related Discussion”