Minirod engine

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Matth93

Minirod engine

Postby Matth93 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Having done a compression test on the race engine a while back I knew that 2 cylinders were down on compression, so I decided to take the head off another engine and refresh it then fit it to the engine in the car.
When I took the head off the old engine on the floor I found it had valves that didn’t seal and a broken valve spring. So once I’d cleaned and had the head skimmed I then rebuilt it with all the valves ground in nicely to give a good seal.
Today I decided to get on with the head swap and when I took the cam off found that all the lobes were badly worn.
BB3A93BF-E9BA-4717-9951-7E832928D9BB.jpeg

I put petrol on top of the pistons while I cleaned the block up and nothing disappeared so the rings must be fairly good and you can still see the cross hatching on the bores.
So I have fitted the cam from the old engine ( which looks good ) and have now nearly finished putting it all back together. Hopefully I’ll get it finished and running again tomorrow

nelmo

Re: Minirod engine

Postby nelmo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm

Yeah, I managed to mow the lawn... almost as impressive, I think? :|

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:49 am

Worn and PITTED !!!!!! mind you Matt the pitts would have distributed oil?
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:28 am

I'm hoping this gives you the edge at the last meeting 8-)

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:38 am

I hope this helps for the last meeting. Then my plan is to actually build a engine for next year instead of running a 100,000 mile engine and hoping it holds together :lol: Then with a bit of luck I’ll have a better chance at winning next year.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:24 pm

Well done Matt, let me know if you need any help as I've been out working this morning but I can help this afternoon and tomorrow if needed?

Jason

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:46 pm

Thanks for the offer Jason, it’s all done now.
Finished putting it all back together and cranked it over without the plugs in first to get the oil round it. It fired up straight away and sounds nice, I ran it up for a while then took the plugs out and done a compression check on it and found all the cylinders now have almost the same 15bar on every one. So pleased with that all cylinders have gone up too. Now it’s just waiting for race day to test it

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:59 pm

With that rebuilt engine your smash it Matt and I don't mean crash it :D :D
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:39 pm

Matth93 wrote:Thanks for the offer Jason, it’s all done now.
Finished putting it all back together and cranked it over without the plugs in first to get the oil round it. It fired up straight away and sounds nice, I ran it up for a while then took the plugs out and done a compression check on it and found all the cylinders now have almost the same 15bar on every one. So pleased with that all cylinders have gone up too. Now it’s just waiting for race day to test it

Just a thought Matt, do you have any trade plates that could let you test it before on the roads, or maybe put the plates back on for a road test ?

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:56 pm

I have got the number plates for it but the mot etc has all run out now and it stands out a bit too much to risk it without. I might see if I can get a sneaky lap or two in next Saturday as I’m taking the car to Lydden to put it on the clubs stand at the rallycross meeting

Return to “Car Related Discussion”