The Garage is no longer empty

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

martinq357

Re: The Garage is no longer empty

Postby martinq357 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:23 am

Great choice Mark. Had my 07 NC for 4 years which I’ve used as a daily for the most part.
Mine’s a 1.8, so has just enough power to get out of it’s own way……. but not much else! :roll:

66F0FEB9-C61A-4C47-B024-21089E520868.jpeg

That said, went to the Spa Classic last month and did one of the track sessions and once I’d (Very Quickly!) found its handling limits, had great fun. I’ve got some KYB shocks and Eibach springs to go on mine which should improve things greatly.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:26 am

thx guys, i need to investigate the suspension. I suspect that its due a refresh and will look at coilovers or perhaps the BBR 'kit'.

BTW - do yours suffer with directional change under hard accleration/backing off?
if i floor it in say 2/3/4th the nose lifts and points to the right.
Back off hard and it dives to the left.

I didnt find the limits on tour, as i wasnt confident in it ( overall ), seemed one moment to be on rails and the next wallowy. It has anti rollbars but apart from that is standard...

martinq357

Postby martinq357 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:10 pm

The suspension does seem to be the weakest links on these… The general thinking is Coilovers, or at the very least 30mm springs, such as Eibachs and some fresh shocks (what I’m doing). Meister seem to be the go to choice and everyone I’ve come across in the NC community really rate them. John has them on his Mk1 and is really pleased with them.

Not experienced such a dramatic direction change, but it can be vague at times and feel a bit floaty (at 123k, my shocks must be shot!). Lowering it will help with this. Tyres also seem to be a hot topic… Rainsport 5’s or Pilot Sport seem to suit it. Don’t go for Avon ZV7’s like I did, the bloody things are cracking up around the tyre circumference between the tread blocks…..

martinq357

Postby martinq357 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:17 pm

Also meant to mention a full geo set up……. Provided the adjustment bolts haven’t seized!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:31 pm

thx Martin.....good insight!

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:40 am

and make sure they tighten them back up to the correct torque, as they come undone if they don't (don't ask me how I know)
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33 am

greenwoo wrote:thx guys, i need to investigate the suspension. I suspect that its due a refresh and will look at coilovers or perhaps the BBR 'kit'.

BTW - do yours suffer with directional change under hard accleration/backing off?
if i floor it in say 2/3/4th the nose lifts and points to the right.
Back off hard and it dives to the left.

I didnt find the limits on tour, as i wasnt confident in it ( overall ), seemed one moment to be on rails and the next wallowy. It has anti rollbars but apart from that is standard...

MeisterR's and 4 wheel alignment will sort this, If you really want to be able to dial the shocks in then get the CRD's, Sportives on mine and they are superb. Also worth a look are Protech, I have a custom built set on my Replicar but not driven that yet

Return to “Car Related Discussion”