Satnavs: What's good?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

russtik

Satnavs: What's good?

Postby russtik » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:22 am

Ok so I've been MIA for some time now (broken car + family life took over) and a while back I managed to "brick" my old TomTom when attempting to apply an update over the top of the firmware that had been acquired from a now-removed-website. Net result; I have nothing to load blat routes onto currently.

While I could spend an inordinate amount of time trying to resurrect my old TomTom, I feel that time could be better spent doing other things. So, where are we at in 2022 with being able to pre-plan a route and share that route with the community in a common format that anyone can load onto a device they have? What are you guys using or have heard about? What actually works well when out on the road (old TomToms feel pretty sluggish these days)?
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

graham b

Re: Satnavs: What's good?

Postby graham b » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:34 am

Hi Russ
I am still MIA.
I have a go620
Works well.
What ever you decide you can get bargains at CEX shops.
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:01 am

Russ I have one of the Garmin motorcycle satnavs. Still comes with a car mount but is waterproof and works with gloves on. And has an anti-glare screen.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:27 pm

I just bit the bullet and bought the latest Go premium with an inbuilt SIM card. £230 but lifetime map, traffic and speed camera updates.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:19 pm

good thread Russ, i'm in the same boat, got a cple of ropey XXl's but need to upgrade as the speed that they react is a tad slow

leegav

Postby leegav » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:07 pm

I bought a Tom Tom rider for the new car..think it was a 400 or 490

Absolutely brilliant and up to date. Works with gloves as it's bike orientated and waterproof. Also has "find a twisty" option for twisty roads when you plan a route or when you add in a postcode. If you change your itn to another type of file it takes them and works fine.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:26 am

I've got a Tomtom GO620 world which I've only used once but looks good. Big screen better mounting, Holds all of europe which my xxl didn't so no more guessing where Ashford is!! I think it has perpetual updates and the mount options are better, has an option where I can bolt the mount to the car.

@LeeGav - Didn't think about a motor bike option, love that it's waterproof, always worry about the tomtom dying in the rain! Do you use the 'find a twisty option' I thought you preferred to go straight to the campsite :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 pm

Always been a fan of sat nav apps on a smart phone - I've got Co-Pilot which costs £26 with lifetime, worldwide map updates.

You can plan routes in the app, save them for later or download routes from anyone. If someone sends you a TT file, you need to use a free app to convert it to trp format but takes seconds. I've used mine on numerous trips - works great.

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 am

Are you on Android Neil? For some reason I don’t think co-pilot takes TRPs if your IPhone? - I might have dreamt this but if it’s not the case I might go down this route. I only ever use ITN converter to plan my routes so I can export them as TRPs straight away….

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:46 am

ChrisL wrote:Do you use the 'find a twisty option' I thought you preferred to go straight to the campsite :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Car Related Discussion”