The next engine woes

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Jasonmpk

The next engine woes

Postby Jasonmpk » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:03 pm

So, while driving to Stoneleigh I had to pull over near Guildford after the engine started playing up very badly, It wouldn't run and the exhaust sounded very odd almost 'tinny'.
I got it recovered eventually and since then have found that the carbs seamed fine, the ignition gives great sparks and nothing seamed loose when i tried the dizzy. when I try and start it, it won't run, almost seams forced, and is spitting fuel out of the carbs. If i put a bit of rag in one of the carbs at a time, it gets spat out when i try and start the engine. I've taken the rocker cover off and found one valve spring broken but still holding the valve up. Am not sure this is the main reason of the breakdown as one valve can't effect all cylinders ?
Any ideas from crossflow users or experts out there ?
Am starting to pull my hair out, one step forward and ten steps back each time is doing my head in :? :(

DJ.

Re: The next engine woes

Postby DJ. » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:41 am

Sorry you had to stop so quickly.
The crossflow can be a great engine and very reliable so don't give up.

Was it running well leading up to Sunday?
If it was, something must have changed. Carbs generally don't suddenly all go wrong as long if they are secured and the manifold isn't leaking. With a timing chain, the cam timing is very unlikely to have changed.

Maybe try gently turning it by hand and check the valve positions at tdc and if it is on points check the static timing?

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:28 pm

Well, I checked the static timing using the car manual and low and behold it showed the timing was about 10 degrees out, so i put a spanner on the locating bolt and it slipped straight round, d'oh. So i put it back to where i thought it should be, tightened the bolt and it almost fired straight up :)
So with my fingers crossed, when i get new valve springs I can rebuild the head and put it all back together and it could then be good again. I think I'll change the timing position though to make sure if it loosens again it can't change the timing.

The throttle is sorted too, I used a grinder to shorten the sheath and cut back the cable to the new correct length, I pulled the cable out before that and the loose bit of strand came partially out so it was easy to remove before i put it all back together.

So I just need to sort some new chambered head valve springs. If anyone knows what the part numbers would be that'd be great to hear, other wise I'll have to contact Burton P' for their advice over the phone.

Jason

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:10 pm

Sounds encouraging, and you can do that with the engine in the car 8-)
Sorry I can't help with the valve springs.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:32 pm

Take one into Burton Performance, I expect they'll be able to match it. Also a Luminition kit or similar is worthwhile, the timing stays put - not admittedly if the distributor is loose, but it's much better than points.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:45 pm

Cheers guys, would it be better to replace them all 'just in case' or is it just unlucky that a very old spring has broken?
The Cam is a BCF2 I think, with better induction and better extraction along with a lighter flywheel, so should I get uprated springs?

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:56 pm

No, sorry - I meant buy a set, but they' only need one to match.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Sounds good. I hope to have them by soon then once i borrow a friends valve spring removal tool early this week.

Oh just a thought, can i still use a single spring with the above mods or should i now use double springs ?

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:06 pm

Ask the experts, as you say best to buy a whole set, when you ask, tell them the cam you are using as a high lift one will work the springs harder.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:48 pm

Well, I think I may have resolved the issue. The previous expensive head I destroyed recently came with new uprated better springs, when i tried to put these springs on my chambered head they got coil bound before I was able to put the collets back in so I gave up and put the original springs in. So to see how different they were i just tried again to put one on the existing valve it fitted perfectly :shock: It didn't coil bind when compressed with the compressor gadget so I measured them all and the Mexico valves looked the same height exposed from the head, so I have put the newer springs on and they look great. The spring compressor compresses the spring way more that the cam will so I think I've got a new D'oh moment to remember :D

The next day or so will allow the rebuild to see if I've cured all the issues once again, Fingers crossed !!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”