The next engine woes

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: The next engine woes

Postby DJ. » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 pm

It's good to avoid having to buy any more :D
Hope all goes well.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:43 pm

A massive thank you to Matt who popped round this evening to sort the timing on my car, it appears that the car broke down after changing timing by about 90 degrees !!!!!
So it now runs very well again, I just need to sort a small water leak and paint a 'tell tale' line across the dizzy fixings just in case it moves again. The bike carbs also need a slight resetting across them to get a perfect purr from the engine for the first time i think :D

Once again,

THANKS MATT :D

Your a star

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:17 pm

Well done Matt 8-)

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Well done guys
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:23 am

Re the ignition, maybe a bit OT, but at every opportunity I’ll bang on about just how much of an improvement 3D mapped ignition is over clockwork. Back when we had a Xflow in the Westy, I had a spare Emerald ECU kicking about and decided to fit it to try and solve the perennial difficult-to-crank issue due to the 11:1 CR and 10 degrees static timing advance.

Good grief, what an improvement. It sorted the cranking/starting issue of course, as I set cranking timing to 5 degrees, but the unexpected and massive improvement in driveability throughout the range was a revelation. Given the engine had been properly set up when it got new 40s and had the carbs jetted and the dizzy re-curved I’d assumed up until that point that it couldn’t be improved on. The big hole up to about 3k rpm that I had always accepted was ‘a feature’ went away, better mpg, easy starting, more responsive everywhere.

A project to consider perhaps, fit 3D mapped ignition! You won’t regret it.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:13 pm

ChrisS wrote:Re the ignition, maybe a bit OT, but at every opportunity I’ll bang on about just how much of an improvement 3D mapped ignition is over clockwork. Back when we had a Xflow in the Westy, I had a spare Emerald ECU kicking about and decided to fit it to try and solve the perennial difficult-to-crank issue due to the 11:1 CR and 10 degrees static timing advance.

Good grief, what an improvement. It sorted the cranking/starting issue of course, as I set cranking timing to 5 degrees, but the unexpected and massive improvement in driveability throughout the range was a revelation. Given the engine had been properly set up when it got new 40s and had the carbs jetted and the dizzy re-curved I’d assumed up until that point that it couldn’t be improved on. The big hole up to about 3k rpm that I had always accepted was ‘a feature’ went away, better mpg, easy starting, more responsive everywhere.

A project to consider perhaps, fit 3D mapped ignition! You won’t regret it.

Interesting thoughts Chris, I'll definitely consider the comments If/when the struggle returns. It ran very well this Sunday so I think I'll leave it alone at the moment as I follow the rule, ' If it ain't broke, don't fix it' :D

Return to “Car Related Discussion”