Auto Electrician Needed.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Alex.

Auto Electrician Needed.

Postby Alex. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:49 pm

I'm at my wits end with my Tiger and need an adult to take a look!

Can anyone recommend an auto electrician in the North Kent area? Preferably mobile as it won't even start.

Alex.

Jasonmpk

Re: Auto Electrician Needed.

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:01 pm

HI Alex, We are not all auto electricians, but we know how most of our cars are built and wired. So give us a clue as to your issue, ie. and history of the issue and what the engine and wiring are involved?

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:30 pm

Hi Jason,
It's a starting issue, it began by not starting when hot, but now has progressed to not starting at all. It just clicks, without turning the engine over.

The battery is in good condition and fully charged, the starter solenoid is new, the starter itself has been changed twice, with no difference. Even the starter button has been replaced.
I now suspect that there is an issue in the wiring itself.

I'm at the point that I would rather pay a professional to come round and fault find/fix, rather than further debug myself!

Alex.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:51 pm

HI Alex, that doesn't sound too bad to be honest.

What engine is it ?
What wiring loom is being used ?
How long has the car been used before this issue was raised ?
So, so far the parts changed are 1, starter. 2, starter button. 3, starter solenoid.

Seeing as the issue started as when getting hot it was difficult to restart, then more permanently not easily starting.

Have you checked that voltage is getting to the starter button, and then leaving it when pressed? That wire should/could then go straight to the starter solenoid so that's the next place to check for the voltage. Another thing that could affect this part of electrical bits is the earth wiring, so make sure they are all checked and remade.

It's a process of elimination of possible issues, one step at a time will save you a few pounds to be honest, if nothing else it will give you a better understanding of your car and would also help anyone looking at the issue for you to get to the answer quicker.

Jason

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:50 pm

Alex, sorry cannot help with any recommendations of leckys who could help.
Sounds like you had enough of it, on top of what Jason has suggested if you are using a Sierra loom they have a habit of overheating the multi plug from the ignition switch to the loom, in my case the car was completely dead intermittently and I had to replace the wires from the switch to a completely new plug of a different design.
Happy to offer more advise if you decide to Persue your self
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but you're right. I've had enough of trying to fix this problem.
It's been ongoing since mid-March, with finding a starter that fits and works. The second starter I tried would probably work, if not for the hidden actual fault! The third starter is a high torque Powerlite unit that needed modification of the block for clearance and a non-standard bolt.
I don't get enough garage time to fault find, interspersed with research. I just want to drive the thing and that means paying someone who knows what they are doing, before the whole summer has gone!

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:02 pm

I had exactly the same thing a few weeks ago - starter motor clicking but not turning over.

Before you spend a lot of money, just stick a wire (literally with insulation tape) on the body of the starter motor and run it to the negative battery terminal - see if that works.

leegav

Postby leegav » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:13 pm

I once paid for an auto electrician to come out to my car and it was a waste of money.

I would just rewire the starter to ignition barrell and start button. Effectively starting again
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

leegav

Postby leegav » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:14 pm

I once paid for an auto electrician to come out to my car and it was a waste of money.

I would just rewire the starter to ignition barrell and start button. Effectively starting again... Excuse the pun
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm

You lot are a bad influence!
I have calmed down now and convinced myself that the starter circuit is fundamentally simple, so I'm going to have another go at fault finding.

If this goes all Pete Tong and I lose more of the summer driving, I'm blaming you lot!! :lol:

Return to “Car Related Discussion”