Auto Electrician Needed.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Richard

Re: Auto Electrician Needed.

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:13 pm

I have just had the same problem and returned the battery (6 months old) back to supplier (Tayna) for checking and starter (WOSP) back for checking / service. Turned out it was the starter's solenoid contacts that had failed.

In my case, when the starter just clicked, all gauges lost power and I had to wait 15 minutes to try again. That was very strange and no ifdea why.

It could be the battery, have you tried an alternative?
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

martinq357

Postby martinq357 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Might be worth replacing the main feed from the battery to the starter, could be a bad crimp and cheap to try.

Electrical problems in cars can be a nightmare. Had a weird one on my old Mk2 XR2, similar issue except occasionally when you put the indicators or lights on, the whole electrical system would die, completely. Eventually it would spring into life. After pulling what felt like the whole car to pieces, I traced it to the main ignition feed crimp on the battery terminal.

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Today was a good day. Rich (locost220) and Jason(mpk) popped round to help with a bit of fault finding, thanks guys!

We could find nothing wrong with the car wiring, impedances were in the right ballpark. The original starter was still not co-operating, just doing the clicky thing. Even out of the car, it still wasn't right.

Put the new high torque starter in, the one that just clicked a few days ago, and it started first push. And every subsequent push. Some choice words were uttered. :D
Even after getting up to temp, every push resulted in a started engine.
Test drive next, to get some proper heat in the engine bay. Arriving back in the garage, time for the real test, she started on the button.

So that is a tentative problem solved, we'll just have to wait and see if it lasts. :lol:

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Back up plan :D
Attachments
0D9CBBC7-D2D6-4A4A-A36C-BC846E8024E4.png
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:36 pm

And don't forget to sort some heat shield for those poor solenoids ;)

Jason

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:31 pm

Could well have been a poor connection that self-sorted itself. Starters take a lot of current with my hi torque WOSP taking over 30 amps according to WOSP. A poor connection may easily not allow that current thus the clicking.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”