Filling the gaps around the radiator in the nose cone?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Jasonmpk

Re: Filling the gaps around the radiator in the nose cone?

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:27 pm

:D Oh yes, the fan is correctly fitted, the rad has about 2" of space each side of it, and a similar gap above it too, which could be why it doesn't cool down very well. This is why i am thinking about putting an angles bit of ali around the front face of it and then see if I can get some semi hard rubber sheets so that I could try and form a tunnel from the nose front to the rad to hopefully get as much air running through it.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:14 pm

Ideally you want to slow the air down so in a seven the area of the rad needs to be larger than the area of the nose cone opening. This will automatically slow the air down so as it passes through the rad it will tend to transfer more heat to the air from the rad core / water.

Also a smooth flow helps reduce turbulence and is why a puller fan is better than a pusher fan. It is also important to allow the hot air escape from behind the rad - side air vents are good for that.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanks Richard, I think the rad is larger than the opening, but sadly when i built it i didn't realise how it might effect the cooling. it was a cool day, about 8 degrees when i last drove it, and it stayed around the 85/90 degree mark but i kept hearing the fan kick in when i stopped at lights or junctions. I think it might be ok for a while, enough to get to the retest and then i'll have a bit of time to sort it hopefully while i await my registration. Hopefully by that time, lock down restrictions will fade and I might be able to meet some of you 7 type car users so I can pick your brains directly and you would also all be able to see where i might have gone wrong.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:51 pm

Hope the re-test goes Ok and that you get it all registered OK too. You're welcome to have a look at what I've done anytime.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Thanks for that, I have sourced some material to guide the air through the rad, and am picking up some small ali angle to fit to the rad edges and fix the other material to it to form the guide for the air. it feels right in my head so I'll try and do it before the retest in a few weeks time.

Jason

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:27 pm

This was the problem with my cooling issue and why I did so many things to keep the engine cool before I found out what was wrong.

Richard.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:38 pm

Cheers Richard,
I managed to get it together last weekend, but i guess only a drive will prove if it works. Am not sure i can borrow another set of trade plates to give it a try, but seeing as I've not blocked anything apart from around the outsides of the rad, it shouldn't be any worse.

Jason

Return to “Car Related Discussion”