And the muppet award goes to....

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: And the muppet award goes to....

Postby locost220 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:21 pm

had a dash cam for years and on the two occassions where drivers reversed into me i stated straight away i have a dash cam and not sure if it was that but never had any hassle with the claims
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:40 am

my 2 takeaways from this is;
a/ dash cams are the way forward.....
b/ the so called 'legal services' extras that i bought ( and i assume are common) are geared towards compensation claims rather than 'proper legal' recourse. Years ago i had legal as an extra and used it to take another muppet to court for pulling out from a parked position with no indication/warning....
this time around all they want to know is whether i've got whiplash....and when i asked about Court it was ' oh no, its not THAT sort of legal cover - its to reclaim any expenses that you have'.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Be interested to see what ones you go for Mark. I’ve a couple of Roadhawks currently that are as old as. Thinking of putting them in swmbo’s car and getting a Garmin.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:12 pm

greenwoo wrote:years ago i had legal as an extra and used it to take another muppet to court for pulling out from a parked position with no indication/warning....

Did you get anwhere with that?

That legal cover is pointless - if you've got a case which you're likely to win, there are 100s of companies that will happily represent you for nothing - they just make their fee part of the settlement on top of your payment.

Happened to me twice after minor motorbike accidents - got £2k for a sprained wrist one time and similar amount for a blood blister under a thumb the other time. They didn't even tell me they were going to claim for compensation, they just told me I had to go for a medical. Next thing I know, cheque in the post. I felt a bit guilty taking it (but I did) ;)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:34 pm

nelmo wrote:
greenwoo wrote:years ago i had legal as an extra and used it to take another muppet to court for pulling out from a parked position with no indication/warning....

Did you get anwhere with that?

That legal cover is pointless - if you've got a case which you're likely to win, there are 100s of companies that will happily represent you for nothing - they just make their fee part of the settlement on top of your payment.

Happened to me twice after minor motorbike accidents - got £2k for a sprained wrist one time and similar amount for a blood blister under a thumb the other time. They didn't even tell me they were going to claim for compensation, they just told me I had to go for a medical. Next thing I know, cheque in the post. I felt a bit guilty taking it (but I did) ;)

Neil, you are part of the reason our insurance premiums are so high.........
Something tells me I would struggle to find anyone in the UK who wouldn't have done the same though.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:38 pm

DJ. wrote:Neil, you are part of the reason our insurance premiums are so high.........
Something tells me I would struggle to find anyone in the UK who wouldn't have done the same though.

Not something I’d do tbh. Bunch of shysters out to make a dishonest living, same with accident management company’s, hate them with a vengeance, had to use them through work, over inflated repair costs and car hire. The cases and disputes about cost dragged on as well between the various insurance companies involved. Told them exactly what I thought of them each time I had to communicate with them. Worse than tele sales arseholes.

Bottom line, as Duncan says, we pay for it at the end of the day through inflated premiums.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm

DJ. wrote:Neil, you are part of the reason our insurance premiums are so high.........

Oi, I did say I had no choice in the matter - the medical check was a condition on them paying out on the bike repair...but you're right, I'm not that good a person that I'm going to turn down free cash... ;)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:42 am

@ neil 'how did i get on tears ago when going Legal'

I won, and got a 50/50 amended at Court to blameless on my part. Back then the legal cover was 'proper', a lower level barrister type was sent down. And under questioning the other party made a flawed statement which basically boiled down to he hadn't 'mirror, signalled, manoevered'. The barrister raised an eyebrow to the Judge and that was that, they found him wholly at fault.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”