Been off Piste for a while

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

leegav

Been off Piste for a while

Postby leegav » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Sorry guys,
I havnt been around for a while. Truth is I've had no end of issues with the car and solving one problem leads to another. But I think this is how solid cars are built.
Since I've last posted I've :

Changed diff seals (again).
Fitted AT power throttles and remap.
Fabricated some brackets so the vacuum flatshifter throttle blip can fit throttles.
Been on a test day and lost all brake feel after a couple of hours.
Had 1 bearing go.

So my main issues have been leaking diff that I cannot solve, and very poor brake feel that feels unsafe and too much travel. I just cannot stop the car.

Let's start with the brakes. I've bled them numerous times. There is no air in the system. I've changed pads on the front which give much better feel. I'm using polymatrix A wilwoods which are race pads with good bite from cold. I've now changed to these all-round. Brake line pressure is very important obviously and there is some serious math involved in working out the biting force of your calipers. From peddle ratios, master cylinder bore area sizes to caliper piston areas. If you raise the pressure through reducing MC size you get longer peddle. After working out my working pressures through maths I'm happy with what's going through the lines based on speaking to a couple of friends with 7 pure bred race cars. So I'm looking to go slightly bigger MCs from AP who have very small cut off point which means the pressure in the lines comes on almost as soon as you press the peddle...no free play. This should give a harder peddle without too much pressure change... Juts means I may have to press harder.
I've got an AIM set up with Evo datalogger so you can buy brake pressure sensors from AIM that show me absolute brake pressures on the steering wheel at all times. 230 quid each! I've just sourced some pressure sensors that work on the same parameters as the aim sensors and half the price... I just need to add some 712 pin connector to attach it to the datalogger and then set it up in the race studio platform to use on my logger.

My constant diff leak was down to some dodgy drive shafts. The part where the diff seal sits had a slight taper. Which meant the seal never say right and pissed oil out. MNR have this week sent me new drive shafts to fit so I'm half way through that. Whilst I'm at it I'm replacing 1 knackered bearing.

Also going in whilst the car is on the ramps is a plumbed in fire extinguisher...obvious why really.

kinda glad I never came on the planned road trip to be honest...would have been coming home early on a trailer probably. However, 2021 car should be where I want it to be and be reliable enough to thrash out in Europe ...

With a new addition to the family due in 2 weeks things will be slow and I'm not going to rush about the car. It will be ready and will be solid at some stage.

Oh and it made 248bhp NA Hayabusa at RLM racing.
Attachments
DSC_0472.JPG
DSC_0464.JPG
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Wingco

Re: Been off Piste for a while

Postby Wingco » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:04 pm

That's a lot of things going wrong Lee after the amount of money you have spent.
Was it poor quality parts ? or poor workmanship from where you had it built ?
Hope you will now have the car you wanted in the first place.
Congrats on your news hope it all goes well for you both.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Honestly a bit of both.. my leaking diff was bad luck. What I think is a long peddle can be perfect to someone else.

I had a serious issue with rev hang which I couldn't figure out. So essentially car electronic paddle shift didn't work properly. Especially down blip. I thought it was TPS failing so I replaced twice and still there. Then I noticed the Voltage from tps was different everytime I let the car idle after been on throttle which caused fueling issues. After months of tracing and replacing parts....it was a bad map and poor idle parameter s in the ECU. This map was done by daytuner in Harrogate ... I asked for the car to go to RLM but it didn't ....this was the resolved in 2 minutes by Richard at rlm, a problem I'd been trying to resolve for months.

If I look back, I've been the source of issues buying a 2nd hand loom and ecu. Letting it get mapped by Daytuner after been told to stay away. Some poor build quality is to blame and on the diff and bearing I was jusy unlucky.

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:40 pm

Attachments
DSC_0494.JPG
DSC_0448.JPG
DSC_0464.JPG
DSC_0466.JPG

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Well done for persevering, it's a superb car and will be very fast when you are completely happy. 248 bhp, that is amazing from 1300cc !

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi Duncan, it's a 1500cc unit.
Must admit my patience has ran thin.. but need to remind my self building a reliable fast and such high spec car is not easy.. a

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Lee. Glad you’re getting there. How are MNR with you? Customer service still ok?

I’ve heard less than positive things about Daytuner. It’s a shame it went there.

If it makes you feel any better my new car has had “teething issues” and has been at Westfield for the past month. Shocking really.

leegav

Postby leegav » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:35 am

customer service has been ok. i think they just stopped responding at one stage. now however, i believe he has hired a couple more bodies to help with workload.
asked for some new bearings and drive shafts and received them no cost within 20 hours. so has improved.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:22 am

Anyway, glad you're getting there. Hopefully see you out on a run once the new addition is settled in. And congratulations on that front. Exciting times hey?

It's funny, we pay all this money out for top spec cars from MNR, Westfield and Caterham and all seem to end up with more problems than if we'd wielded the spanners in the first place..... Have you met Dan with the Caterham 620 (I think that's the model)? He's had similar "teething issues". I broke down within 600 miles of delivery with what was a known fault on their demonstrator.... And that was 3 years ago, you'd have thought they have fixed it on new cars given it was launched 3 years ago.

I'm getting (re)delivery today and off to Blyton at the weekend so should be a good shakedown with fingers and toes crossed. :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:05 pm

fingers crossed that you've both got them sorted. Can't believe the grief that you've both had, especially Lee with what seems like a truckload of hassle.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”