Lowered Floors help!

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Dick

Re: Lowered Floors help!

Postby Dick » Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Remove the seat make your own brackets and bolt it in , how many people have seat runners they dont use . Your seats will have fixings that allow them to bolt to the runners use these to fix to a pair of brackets easy job and cheap

Rickyrjb

Postby Rickyrjb » Fri May 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Dick wrote:Remove the seat make your own brackets and bolt it in , how many people have seat runners they dont use . Your seats will have fixings that allow them to bolt to the runners use these to fix to a pair of brackets easy job and cheap

Yes I did think about this, so my seat runners are about 20mm in total, however this would mean the seat base padding would then be on the floor, yes would be lower but not so plush on the butt!!
Correct my seat is all the way back and never moves so could be a possibility.
Westfield SEight V8

Dick

Postby Dick » Fri May 01, 2020 4:36 pm

The fibreglass and carbon seats have a very thin bit of foam on them if your lucky less than 5mm thick , lots have none .

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Fri May 01, 2020 9:40 pm

If your car is a narrow, which I think it is as it’s an SEi not a (W) then you’ll have to fabricate your own floor pans. You will likely have to release the body along the outer edges as the panel is riveted under that.
The other thing to bear in mind is that on the later Westies with lowered floors they added two additional steel straps that the seat runners bolt through and the alloy floor.

Much safer of course.

How tall are you? I had the vinyl covered wood seats that Westfield used to supply on my old narrow and converted them to grp shell seats from one of the suppliers - I forget who it was now - may have been Martin Keenan? For the record I’m 6ft 2 and 15 stone. I also found that the previous owner had put a spacer between the column and mounting bar across the scuttle.
I bolted them direct to the floor to them them as low as possible.

I also did in the end did convert it to floor mounted pedals to try and get more legroom.

Shell seats are surprisingly comfortable despite the fact that they don’t look it.
Team Green now

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat May 02, 2020 7:10 am

Hi Rich, A few of us on here are / have used the J.K Composites seats, I bought a pair about 2 years ago with colored seat pads, great bit of kit. J.K seats are very reasonably priced, can't remember how much I paid for the pair but it wasn't more than £500. They will also fit the seat pads for you if you ask them.
Just give them a call when you can, very helpful people who will have provided seats for many westfields probably.
I have done some miles in the seats and never had an issue with comfort.
http://www.jkcomposites.com/sevens/
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Sat May 02, 2020 7:22 am

Matth93 wrote:On the caterhams I believe it’s just a different ally floor panel which is just riveted on but I may be wrong

Matt you are quite right rivets and some sealant. I have standard floors and I can fit my bulk in and we feel nice and snug.
James
The man in the Red Coat

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat May 02, 2020 7:52 am

I've considered lowered floors a lot since buying my Caterham. The Lotus Seven Club go on and on about safety with regards to head height below roll bar, and insist on lowered floors.

Then I read complaints that their seat bolts are grounding out on the road which never happens on my car. I have wondered what happens if the (poorly engineered in my opinion) Caterham lowered floors catch on something if the cars spins off road? The thin alloy will rip off the bottom of the car and even a six point harness won't help much if your seat has gone from under it! The man who designed the Lotus Seven Series 4 insisted it had a steel floor, because he had an off on a circuit in a series 3 and a sharp object ripped a long gash up the passenger side floor.

Dick

Postby Dick » Sat May 02, 2020 9:08 am

The man who designed the Lotus Seven Series 4 insisted it had a steel floor, because he had an off on a circuit in a series 3 and a sharp object ripped a long gash up the passenger side floor.

Thats why i have a 10mm thick bit of ply under the base of my seat in the tiger and the seat is touching it . Not a bit of steel but still strong

Rickyrjb

Postby Rickyrjb » Sun May 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Must be fate, I was on that JK website when you posted that comment. I somehow thought they would be more expensive.
Seat pads seem a bit pricey at £160 for a pair though
Westfield SEight V8

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun May 03, 2020 1:28 pm

Rickyrjb wrote:Must be fate, I was on that JK website when you posted that comment. I somehow thought they would be more expensive.
Seat pads seem a bit pricey at £160 for a pair though

If you have a bit of natural padding (ok fat!) like me, it might be worth trying without pads. I've driven 600 miles in a day in a glass fibre unpadded seat and was very comfortable.

I have to remember to remove coins from my back pocket though :lol:

Return to “Car Related Discussion”